Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't a major issue but I always take my truck to the dealer because of my lack of mechanic skills. I thought I would throw the question out there and see if someone knew what to do before I waste time looking for something that isn't the problem. It could just be a fuse but I haven't checked. My turn signals work and when I hook up to a trailer the trailer brake lights work. Where should I start? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
look for the fuse first. the trailer brake has it's own fuse

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Check the fuses, bulbs and then go after the brake switch. Does the cruise still shut of when applying the brake?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
woodchuck2;1564353; said:
Check the fuses, bulbs and then go after the brake switch. Does the cruise still shut of when applying the brake?
Yes the cruise still works like normal. I will go check the fuses right now.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
check to see if both of your bulbs are bad. On these trucks, the turn signals are different bulbs than the brakes. Could be that simple.
If your trailer brake lights are working, then I would think that your brake light switch on the brake pedal is okay. Unless, the trailer brake lights are activated by something else.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fuses seem fine. I will go pick up some brake lights bulbs but I would think one would go out before the other. Is it normal for them to go out together?

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
GM has had a lot of problems with tail light bulbs ever since they began buying them from China. So much so that there was a recall on some of the S-series trucks. It is not unusual to have both burn out.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep. It just needed new bulbs. The brake lights would work after it got dark but not during the day. I am going to enjoy not having to give people the finger when they honk at me for not having brake lights. Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts