Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently installed a Hayden severe duty fan clutch to keep my rig cool while towing. I have a 39 foot 5er that weighs around 15K loaded. The fan kicks in around 200 which is perfect for towing and keeping the engine nice and cool, the problem is when in town driving while idling at a stop light or parked somewhere the A/C stops working it seems like. The air coming out of the vents is not cold at all. I checked the refrigerant level and its good so my guess is that it could be related to the fan clutch some how? I first noticed it after replacing it. Does anyone else have issues like this? I also tried to clean out the condenser with simple green and a garden hose but it doesn't seem too dirty

·
Administrator
16,725 Posts
Thread relocated over to "HVAC"

:thumb:

·
Premium Member
17,934 Posts
Checked the refrigerant level? How?
What numbers did you see?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just used a recharge kit you get from autozone or whatever. run the a/c and check the pressure on the low side. It was in the green so I didn't add any. Also check my wife's car with it too to make sure the readings were the same.

I also forgot to mention I returned the Hayden and got a Murray clutch because I thought it may have been defective. same results with the Murray though

·
Premium Member
17,934 Posts
Based on your description (warm at idle), I suspect that it is overcharged.
The accuracy of a charge it yourself can is, obviously, questionable.

For a quick summation of how the low side (suction) should look, on an 85° day, engine up to temperatire.
I expect to see 30ish at idle, with a pull down to 25ish at 1500 rpm.

I suspect that your at 40psi on the low side and pulling down to 35ish at 1500rpm.

There are so many variables to give exact numbers, but, I still suspect overcharge. Without seeing the high side numbers, all of the above is moot.

Reactions: Lingus

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay is there an easy way to discharge it or do i need a manifold and a vacuum pump to purge the system and recharge it properly?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ok I'm having the same problem with my LBZ. I have no cold air at idle, plenty of cold air at cruising speed. Here's what I've done so far;

-Replaced fan clutch (after market)- NO WORKY
-Removed cooling stack and cleaned (a bear of a job)- NO WORKY
-Replaced receiver drier, flushed evaporator and condenser, drew down and recharged- NO WORKY

Gauge set shows typical pressures on low and high side when first started while the fan clutch is engaged. After it runs for 5 minutes and the fan clutch disengages, the high side goes ballistic into the 325psi-350psi range. I hit the condenser with water from the hose at the pressure drops right down to what it should be based on ambient temps.

Anyone?

Hey McCall??

·
Registered
494 Posts
Based on your description (warm at idle), I suspect that it is overcharged.
The accuracy of a charge it yourself can is, obviously, questionable.

For a quick summation of how the low side (suction) should look, on an 85° day, engine up to temperatire.
I expect to see 30ish at idle, with a pull down to 25ish at 1500 rpm.

I suspect that your at 40psi on the low side and pulling down to 35ish at 1500rpm.

There are so many variables to give exact numbers, but, I still suspect overcharge. Without seeing the high side numbers, all of the above is moot.
I can really use your input here Brian.

·
Registered
16,229 Posts
Could be that you need to clean your stack. After a few years debris builds up and doesn't allow the condenser to work properly.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Lingus did mention in post #7 that he had removed the cooling stack and cleaned it.

If the engine temp was getting too high, I would suggest also considering if there is any bling up front obstructing the airflow (like a light bar, fancy grill, moved license plate,etc), but I don't think the A/C system is as sensitive to slightly less airflow compared to the engine when it's towing heavy.

I can't add anything else, as I don't have any experience with fixing A/C problems (yet, at least).

·
Registered
494 Posts
Lingus did mention in post #7 that he had removed the cooling stack and cleaned it.

If the engine temp was getting too high, I would suggest also considering if there is any bling up front obstructing the airflow (like a light bar, fancy grill, moved license plate,etc), but I don't think the A/C system is as sensitive to slightly less airflow compared to the engine when it's towing heavy.

I can't add anything else, as I don't have any experience with fixing A/C problems (yet, at least).
Cleaning the stack didn't do diddly but it needed to be done with 310k on the ticker.

At this point my only path forward is to swap the aftermarket fan clutch with an OEM. D R C had this very same problem and posted about it a couple years ago.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Installed OEM fan clutch, problem solved immediately. Lesson learned: An OEM fan clutch is properly calibrated to each specific model. Aftermarket fan clutch isn't.

After market fan clutches are JUNK.

Reactions: davester

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
thanks for following up with what fixed your problem.

Reactions: Lingus
1 - 13 of 13 Posts