Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
HALP! 4x4 not engaging. Replaced the front diff actuator. Can hear the transfer case switch when it’s not running. 15 amp fuse is good. The service 4wd is not on. The buttons on the dash work as they should. It’s telling me to service the brakes on the dash with both the abs and parking brake lights on. I’m stuck in my driveway so any help would be great. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Does the actuator actually go in/out when switching between 2 and 4wd?

Also, try shifting into 4wd (you may want to move the truck a little to get the gears to engage), then lift up one of the front wheels and try to spin it and see what happens.

If the wheel doesn't spin, you are in 4wd
If the wheel spins, and the front driveshaft spins with it, then most likely the chain in the transfer case broke.

If the wheel spins, and the front driveshaft doesn't spin (and you shouldn't be able to spin it by hand either), then the front axle isn't locking. If the actuator moves in/out correctly, then most likely the locking gear the actuator moves is broken, or the passenger side stub axle is broken.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Help diagnose it Can you pull the codes. Most readers can’t pull brake codes.
How are your batteries.
Front wheel hubs tight.
Ground wire under the drivers side cab mount.

Google (duramax service brake system abs Light parking light flashing) or (Duramax ABS Light and brake light) lots to read.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Is your 4x4 push button or a lever in the floor. If it's a switch replace the switch, they are fairly cheap and fail all the time. I am thinking your ABS light is a different issue, check the wiring to each hub, they sometimes get pinched or break.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts