Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to find out if anyone else is using the Nitto Terra Grappler tires on their truck? I've got an '03 crew cab/ short box 2500 chevy with 285/75-15 load E tires on 16"x8" wheels. The questions are these:
1. What kind of mpg do you get with these tires?
2. What pressures do you run them at?
3. How did you re-calibrate your speedometer?

I'm finding a big problem with my mpg on my truck. With stock tires I was getting around 15.5mls to 16mls around town and now I'm getting 11mls to 12mls. Also, a few other things about my truck; stock exhaust, stock air cleaner assem., Super Chips tuner set to max ( No I'm not lead footing it around town!). I'm going to ask some questions about the tuner in the other forum. I also have a lumber rack and tool box, both probably weigh 500lbs together. Thanks for the help and any input you might have.
Eric

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
1. replace/delete your muffler
2. set programmer to tow/economy
3. fuel additive...use it
= at least 3mpg IMO

·
Registered
186 Posts
I

·
Registered
186 Posts
Since replacing my stock "donuts" with the Nittos, I too seem to have noticed a 1-2 mpg loss in fuel economy. However, I made the tire change around the same time winter blend fuel was in effect. I'm going to see what happens this spring once the winter blend fuel is gone. My truck is basically stock, as far as performance is concerned, so the info. about the muffler interests me.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Unless you have your speedometer recalibrated, all your MPG calculations will be off. When you go up to a 285 from at 245 you have to add somewhere around 5%-10% to your calculation to make up for the larger tire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mistake

I wanted to find out if anyone else is using the Nitto Terra Grappler tires on their truck? I've got an '03 crew cab/ short box 2500 chevy with 285/75-15 load E tires on 16"x8" wheels. The questions are these:
1. What kind of mpg do you get with these tires?
2. What pressures do you run them at?
3. How did you re-calibrate your speedometer?

I'm finding a big problem with my mpg on my truck. With stock tires I was getting around 15.5mls to 16mls around town and now I'm getting 11mls to 12mls. Also, a few other things about my truck; stock exhaust, stock air cleaner assem., Hypertech tuner set to max ( No I'm not lead footing it around town!). I'm going to ask some questions about the tuner in the other forum. I also have a lumber rack and tool box, both probably weigh 500lbs together. Thanks for the help and any input you might have.
Eric
Made a mistake on the programmer. I did recalibrate my speedometer using the programmer per their specifications. Also, I'm not sure if we have winter blend fuel here in California. Anyone know? About the tires, another posting there was a statement on the Nittos being soft, this could be some of teh problem. How does everyone else calibrate their speedometers, GPS maybe?
Eric

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nittos are totally junk! My son went thru two sets of Nittos in two years before he switched the brand and still is on it for 2 years now. A tire representative told me that Nitto makes their tires from rejected TOYO rubbers... So from my experience, just stay away from NITTO!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nittos are totally junk! My son went thru two sets of Nittos in two years before he switched the brand and still is on it for 2 years now. A tire representative told me that Nitto makes their tires from rejected TOYO rubbers... So from my experience, just stay away from NITTO!!!!
I agree, I had a set of Terra Grapplers and they were bald at 30K. Nice tire but they wear QUICKLY

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Another vote for the poor wear capabilities of Nitto Grapplers and the increasing noise level as the tread peels off. I only got 10,000 miles or so out of mine. Poor tire in my mind. Now Nitto 555R Competition drag tires are a different matter. Fantastic tire with excellent characteristics for street rods with much caballos.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I'm not sure if we have winter blend fuel here in California. Anyone know?
If the the pump reads Diesel #1 then it is the winter blend or Diesel #2 then is it the normal blend I think. I think that was what he was talking about when he said winter blend.

·
Registered
646 Posts
28K and counting on mine. No problems, no noise, will probably go 35-40K.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
i have had my nittos on for about 8k miles now. the rears about half worn the fronts look new.....let me tell you plowing kills tires. i will get about 16 out of the rear and 40 out of the front. these are the best tires i have used

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have had my nittos on for about 8k miles now. the rears about half worn the fronts look new.....let me tell you plowing kills tires. i will get about 16 out of the rear and 40 out of the front. these are the best tires i have used

Only 16k on rear and 40K? That is almost half of other brand's wear out miles so how can you call them best tires if they wear out early and pry your money out of wallet sooner than indicated? I had run Firestone Steeltex tires for 63k with some threads left with more than 30k towing miles on them.

·
Registered
431 Posts
BBC

I too have nittos differnt size

run close 5 to 10 lbs less than max
Around 17mpg give or take depending on foot, hand calculated
Recalibrated with predator, used milemarkers on highway to verify, needed some tweaking on the numbers to get it right I am 293/70r17 for a 295/70r17.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
put it this way when i pulled the stock tires off with the same milage the rears were destroyed. I do not drive lightly. and i kill tires. i was getting about 10k out of 50k tires on my car before i sold it

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have nittos in 295/75R16 and have not had them a year and they are 75-80% gone. I will never buy these again. I would like to get at least 40K from a tire and I have less than 18K. -:t

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers on my truck and I love them. I have had no problems with them. They are really quiet going down the road. My sister has them on her truck and I have them on my truck. I will definately buy them for my next tire. Mine are 305 50 20's.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just put another 1K on mine this weekend towing 4K w/o problem. NOT noisy, NOT worn out, and 29K on them. It seems that generally those of us happy with them have 18s or 20s and those that aren't have 16s. Maybe someone should do a poll/breakdown.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts