Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am torn between what tires to get. If I get the Nitto Terra Grappler I will have to order them without looking at them (except on the net), and would just be ordering them based on a few peoples comments on here about them. The BFG A/T I have run before and loved them.. wore evenly, tougher than nails, handled mud good, and road good, but pricey. Right now I have 285/75/16s Bridgestone M/T tires and they seemed to wear pretty quick and make some road noise.

Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tanner

·
Registered
570 Posts
Nitto Terra Grapplers will wear fast and are loud on the road.

Goodyear MTR's or BFG MT would be my choice

·
Registered
216 Posts
tanner------ i just took off my parnelli jones dirt grip's (36x14.5x16) talk about loud ,couldn't keep them balanced and they just didn't last,friend of mind has the nitto's and they are wearing excellent,so i bought some last week (365x65x16) nitto grappler's a/t's, so far they are excellent,very quiet,handle well,-----voodoo i have had bfg mt's before, they wear good also but they are much louder then the nitto's ,mike Edited by: firelt

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
firelt..

first of your truck looks bad ass man.. love it!!

Are the Nitto tires agressive looking to you? I am just afraid if I go from an m/t tire to a a/t tire I might not like it.

Now.. I am also considering the Firestone Destination M/T I have a friend that has them, they look good, but I havent asked about there performance..

·
Registered
570 Posts
firelt said:
tanner------ i just took off my parnelli jones dirt grip's (36x14.5x16) talk about loud ,couldn't keep them balanced and they just didn't last,friend of mind has the nitto's and they are wearing excellent,so i bought some last week (365x65x16) nitto grappler's a/t's, so far they are excellent,very quiet,handle well,-----voodoo i have had bfg mt's before, they wear good also but they are much louder then the nitto's ,mike

The Nitto's are way cool, I wanted the Goodyear MTR's but the military has all the 17x37" untill June, so I went with the BF's, I like the looks of the Nitto's. How much were they.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Tanner,

I've had both the Nitto's and the BFG's. I think in the 285 tire you'll find that the Nitto has a little higher rating in weight (3,300), temp (A) and treadwear (500). The two tires are very similar in that they both do a good job off-road, in the rain and in the mud. And yes, both kinds will wear down the first 30% of tread really quick! After 30% or so they will wear better. However, to me the Nitto rides better. I don't know if Nitto does this because it takes "less" weight to ballance or because the sidewall is different or that they don't sing as loud (almost no sing) as the BFGT's. I like the G's but my next purchase will be either the Revo's or the Nitto's.

Burner--------->

--- and Tanner, ... The Nitto's just look too cool. Lots of folks ask me about my Nitt's and almost 0 about my BFG's.Edited by: Burner

·
Registered
216 Posts
tanner------- the nitto's are more like the bfg a/t's , a little more aggressive but not as much as say the bfg m/t's ,they ride great ,guiet , voodoo----- i got them for 225.00 otd

·
Registered
326 Posts
Voodoo said:
Nitto Terra Grapplers will wear fast and are loud on the road.

Goodyear MTR's or BFG MT would be my choice
You're saying that the Nitto's are loud, but then you suggest 2 different MT's instead?
I guarantee that those MT's are twice as loud as the Nitto's. My TG's have over 20K on them, and you'd be hard pressed to tell. I definitely think they're a very quiet and long lasting tire, especially for an AT.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have the 285 Firestone Destinations. After about 5k miles I have no complaints.

Jesse

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank for all the info guys.. I think I am gonna go with the Nitto's. Just waiting for my income tax return..

·
Registered
199 Posts
Another satisfied NITTO customer...............

I've had almost every popular tire on my trucks over the years, and so far the Nitto's have them all beat. VERY quiet, great ride, and excellent traction..........NEVER had all 3 of those points from any other tire.

Tom

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
The ProComps look pretty good and have a 50k treadwear rating. However, I have have not had a set of these tires, yet. I did notice that the ties lacked sippers. The tire appears to be made like a Steeltex with slightly altered tread. I think Hoot has a set... but they are on 8.5x17 Hummer II rims.........

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=smText vAlign=top width="20%" bgColor=#fefefc> </TD>
<TD class=text vAlign=top background="" bgColor=#fefefc>
tanner------- the nitto's are more like the bfg a/t's , a little more aggressive but not as much as say the bfg m/t's ,they ride great ,guiet , voodoo----- i got them for 225.00 otd

</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

If I am reading this correcly. Which I am tired so I might not be. You found the Nittos for 225. If so shop around. I am installing a set tomorrrow and I am only paying 165.00otd. I shopped for atleast a month and called every tire store in the Dallas area found the price I wanted and then asked my shop to match the price I found. 4 wheel parts is only 195.00 otd I checked today and they are usually one of the more proud dealers. check their website for specials.

·
Registered
570 Posts
My goof guys

I ment to say the Mud Grapplers were loud not the Terras sorry.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discount tires is having a great sale................just got the Terra Grapplers in 285's for $135.00 each including shipping.

Tom

·
Registered
162 Posts
RATDOC

Did you have to pay tax on the tires when you purchased them online from tires.com? I am looking to get a set of TG for my truck and am just curious how the online purchasing works. Cause I called one of the Discount Tire stores in my area and the tires were about $10 more each than if I ordered them online, but I think this is because they include the fee for mounting and balancing the tire in the cost. Any info would be great....

thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
noproblem----WHAT SIZE WERE THE NITTO'S FOR 165.00 ,I THOUGHT I GOT A GOOD DEAL,I JUST GOT MY RECEIPT OUT AND LOOKED ,I REALLY ONLY PAID 219.00 OTD ,I THOUGHT THAT WAS GOOD FOR 365X65X16'S,MIKEEdited by: firelt

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
315x75x16 I think. I will look friday when I get the truck back from the lift install.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Chevyfreek said:
RATDOC

Did you have to pay tax on the tires when you purchased them online from tires.com? I am looking to get a set of TG for my truck and am just curious how the online purchasing works. Cause I called one of the Discount Tire stores in my area and the tires were about $10 more each than if I ordered them online, but I think this is because they include the fee for mounting and balancing the tire in the cost. Any info would be great....

thanks

As far as I know, sales tax is only charged if you live in the same state as the company you're ordering from. I didn't pay a dime for sales tax or shipping.................just $135.00 per tire(285 Nitto's) delivered to my door. There was also some B/S charge of around $2.00 for something, but what I don't really remember............or care.

Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts