Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had about 10K miles on my Cat filter and about 15k on the factory filter. Today was beautiful and it seemed like a good time to change them. I cut them open but didn't take any pictures. The Cat (and what a first class piece of production it is) filter media was about 7/8 black, which lets me know that 10 thou is a good time to change. The factory filter, which, remember already had 5,000 miles on it before the Nicktane installation, was only about 1/3 used after sitting behind the Cat for 10,000 miles. I'm guessing not much fuel is getting to the injectors that isn't very clean.

Oh, and no rust or water at all in either one.

TCEdited by: Tsckey

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Outstandingly good news ~ Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I changed the Racor OEM fuel filter for the first time yesterday and discovered little if any crud inside, however, I did see what I call "fish eggs" in the fuel in the bottom. I believe this is water? I'm relieved because I have had to buy fuel in some out-of-the-say places last winter in Wyoming and Colorado and expected to see a lot of crud and water.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jeff1 said:
I changed the Racor OEM fuel filter for the first time yesterday and discovered little if any crud inside, however, I did see what I call "fish eggs" in the fuel in the bottom. I believe this is water? I'm relieved because I have had to buy fuel in some out-of-the-say places last winter in Wyoming and Colorado and expected to see a lot of crud and water.
Jeff1,

Don't overlook the possibility that a lot of the crud and water went through your fuel system!
On the other hand Taylors look at both filters (first post) shows how additional filtration seems to do the job.

Food for thought?

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts