Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda wanted to start a thread where everyone could post their little hints that helped them out. Lots of good info in this section of the forum, hate to lose them due to the number of posts.

My 2 cents:
- lay hose out in the sun, makes it go on the fittings easier.

- mount all connections including barb to the filter head. Its a lot easier to have the entire fitting in place and slide the hose and clamp over it rather than put the barb in then try to tighten it up.

- WD 40 makes very short work of removing the exhaust from the hangers, and putting it back on too

- fill the filter with diesel if you can, it should prevent having to prime the engine which on mine turned out to be a pain

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
DMAX Daddy wrote:

"- fill the filter with diesel if you can, it should prevent having to prime the engine which on mine turned out to be a pain"

Also FWIW, if you fill the filter you might want to block the center hole and fill from the series of holes around the outside circumference. That’s how you get your fuel to actually go through the filter, the outside is the inlet side and the center is the outlet (filtered fuel) side.

I used a clean hydraulic hose cap, it's one of those plastic thingys that come on the end of a new hose to protect the threads or keep dirt out.

2DAMAX's $0.02Edited by: DMAX2DAMAX

·
Registered
909 Posts
Along those same lines, if you fill your filter it's best to use clean fuel, especially for a post OEM install. I'd rather play it safe and pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't work on automobiles other than for rountine maintenance and I was somewhat worried about the difficulty of installing the Nicktane filter.

I have an '02 2WD and it took an entire morning but went on just fine and while it is a lot of work it's definitely doable by less than an accomplished mechanic.

I didn't do anything except bend the deflector down and work by feel. I tried a mirror but it didn't do much good. The pipe coming out of the tank felt like plastic and had to be treated gently and I was careful not to overtighten the clamp. I assembled the head completely and installed it after the bracket was secured and then attached the hoses. I filled the filter with diesel and the truck fired right up and ran without priming. No problems so far.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I guess I'm not the only one who hooks the line to the tank by braile!

Glad you like it. Enjoy your clean fuel!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts