Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started putting my Nicktane filter on several days ago and to quit after mounting the bracket and can. Strained my shoulder and neck muscle, to much sttretching for this old man. Anyway yesterday i decided to give it another go and finiusg\hed the job. Filled the can with diesel fuel, screwed it on, started the truck without priming and have driven it about 60 miles with no miss. Contrary to a couple of inputs from others, I didn't see/feel any difference in the way it run. Got a cou[ple jugs of CITGO " MYSTIK DIESEL FUEL CONDITIONER" and will start using it the next time I tank up. Have close to 4K on the truck now so hopefully early use of fuel conditioner will save me a lot of trouble/money down the road. MYSTIK may be new to a lot of you but its popular here with a lot of the small truckers(big tractors). I first tryed it years ago in my 1981 98 Olds diesel and never had a bit of trouble with it. Had a pre RACOR seperator/ filter combo on it . Used to get water every once in the while because back then steel underground tanks were common and so was water and rust and there weren't very many diesel cars on the road and no pick ups unless modified. . Even put a pet cock the on cars tank so I could drain off the water when the filter sensor showed water presence. Edited by: Bill Gisse

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm not sure I understand why people pre fill a filter. I've seen a number of people posting that they pre filled their filters. Would you not be filling the filter with unfiltered fuel and passing it through the system without going through the filter??

·
Registered
365 Posts
Firstdiesel,

How much dirt can be in a quart? Compare that to the thousands of quarts that will be going through that filter and it's probably a mute point.

I don't pre-fill mine because of the jockying around to get it on and I only keep around off-road diesel for the tractor. Pre-filling would save the pumping and bleeding effort but can cause spills.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Bill,

Congratulations! Old man nothing. You've got more moxy than me. I didn't want to try it and helped Nick do the install.

I noticed that my truck seemed to run/accelerate smoother.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sorry if this is kind of a basic question, but what do you do with the old fuel when changing a filter? With my gas filters, I just spill the old gas onto my concrete driveway, and it evaporates. I really dont want to do this with diesel (not to mention that none of my gas filters are as large as the CAT filter). What do other do with the old fuel?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Larryt the fuel I put into the filter before installing it would pass thru the OEM filter on the engine block before going into the pump. Another person asked what I'm going to do with the fuel out of the depleted filter. Good question. I hadn't give it any thought but will probaly pour it into a glass jar and if it loolks good I'll pour it back into the tank. If theres sediment or water in the bottom of the glass jar I'll just pour the clean looking fuel off the top into the tank or better yet, into the replacement filter. Will have to put something into the post hole to block the fuel from entering the output side of the filter. Edited by: Bill Gisse

·
Registered
868 Posts
I put the fuel from the old filter into my home heating oil tank.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Recycle your filters, spill out your diesel fuel.....Isnt that what catch basins are for?
. I set my 6.5 fuel filters on fire, my Dmax I cut the filter open....see whats inside.. And throw it in the garbage truck......Were in the business...I dont have to worry bout throwing anything away, only benefit of being in the garbage business. That and free ham bones and turkey frames.(in season)

Bill

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Roegs said:
Sorry if this is kind of a basic question, but what do you do with the old fuel when changing a filter? With my gas filters, I just spill the old gas onto my concrete driveway, and it evaporates. I really dont want to do this with diesel (not to mention that none of my gas filters are as large as the CAT filter). What do other do with the old fuel?

Toss it on the concrete. Its good for concrete. Concrete workers use diesel fuel for curing/treating when freezing wx is expected. It goes away w/time. When in SEA we treated the wood floors of our hootches anticipating keeping the rats away ~ (can't say it worked tho).

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Dumping it in your drain oil containers is probably the best thing to do with it unless you have oil fired heater than you can dump it in your oil tank.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You could send in all that fuel for analysis, but that would be expensive LOL
probably the wrong sample too huh!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts