Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started installation of subject filter today. Got the bracket and filter installed okay but got stuck trying to disconnect GM quick connect/disconnect fuel line fitting at tank out put. Whats the secret in using the special tool. I used the 1/2" tool but couldn't make it work. Looks like I'll have to take the return line cooler loose to (so I can reach the other connector towards engine) . Thats after i figure out how to get the first one loose. Anybody done it have some good words on the size and use of the special tool. When you are 75 this kind of workmis hard/difficult. Fingers aren't very strong anymore. Thanks. Bill

·
Registered
217 Posts
Bill,

I just got done installing the same kit today. It is a bear to get off of there...you have to work the disconnect tool into the fitting, and work the line back and forth. I had to reseat the tools about 10 times until it released. I also removed the end of the line at the fuel cooler first, allowing me to pull more on the line at the tank fitting.

BTW, where are you located...maybe someone could stop by and give you a hand. If you are anywhere near Colorado Springs I would be happy to.

John

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in San Antonio Tx, a long ways from you. John what size tool did you use. My plans for tomorrow are to take the other end off first but it loks like I have to loosen tke the return line first. Today I slipped with a wrench and put a little ding in the side panel from the inside out. P----d me off. Bill

·
Registered
217 Posts
Bill,

Did you drop the tank at all? If not, it sure makes it easier to get at. I just used a floor jack with a piece of plywood under the tank. You remove the two bolts, one on each strap and let it down a bit. Then I removed the six metal clip that hold on that aluminum shield on the side of the tank. Now it is easier to get at.

By removing the cooler side first I was able to get better leverage on the hose when trying to remove the tank coupling. Be prepared for a small diesel bath...but hey, we live for the smell of diesel, right?

As to the tool, I used the 1/2 in one. It is a real pain in the a$$. Push it in against the connector, try pushing the hose in/out, then remove the tool, rotate it a bit, and repeat. Sooner or later, probably later, it will finally pop loose.

Good luck!

John

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Nick mentioned in another thread to push the tool in while pushing the connection together, and if it doesnt release rotate the tool 20 degrees or so and retry. I think its a "screw with it til it comes loose" kind of thing.

I hope to do mine tomorrow.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bill, I live over by Boerne and if you need some help my phone # is in my profile-- I think !! If not , email me --- [email protected] gvtc.com, I had the same problem as you , but I finally figured it out.

Jomar

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Hey are you guys installing, or should I say accessing the fuel line on the tank with the big alum driveshaft ?? I'm thinking I'm going to have to lower my tank as suggested above, or drop the driveshaft to get to it .... Perhaps I'll mess with it when, while it's up on the lift the next few days with the shaft out and see ....

Mac

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mac,

Yep, I got to it by dropping the tank a bit, and I was able to leave the telephone pole alone.

John

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Also tomorrow on my attempt I will see about siphoning fuel from the tank to fill the CAT filter prior to hooking up the last line connection at the filter head so I dont have to hammer on the primer for an hour.

Itll make a mess, but since I havent changed my Alli pan yet I havent made a driveway spot.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
DMAX Daddy said:
Also tomorrow on my attempt I will see about siphoning fuel from the tank to fill the CAT filter prior to hooking up the last line connection at the filter head so I dont have to hammer on the primer for an hour.

Itll make a mess, but since I havent changed my Alli pan yet I havent made a driveway spot.

Nick installed mine ~ but I did the pumping and it wasn't all that bad. Might help to have a rag handy to sop up the foam/discharge while pumping. We ran it until it died ~ then pumped awhile and clinched it down and drove home.

For the those of you that haven't installed yet, there are 4 barbs inside the connector. By sliding the special tool along the fitting/tubing into the female connector, the barbs are disabled. Because of the slip seam nature of the tool, one may need to rotate it a 'skosh' to overcome all of the barbes for successful removal.

FWIW ~ Like others, I could swear it runs better w/the Nicktane Filter but can find no logical reason for doing so. Should someone figure it out, pls let us know.Edited by: ShumDit

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've decided to drop the tank a little, will be much easier for this old (75) man. First I'll have to burn up some diesel, the tank is full. Had the tank off my old truck a couple times (replced in tank filte and fuel pump) so I know what I'm in for. John (Borne) I may call you later, thanks for the offer. I live about three blocks from Lackland AFB, am retired from the AF Military 1/1/67 and again from AF Civil Service 1988 at Kelly AFB. BG

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
the correct tool size is 1/2" which matches the line size from the tank. as stated earlier, place to tool over the line, and push the connector together while pushing the tool into the female side. then wiggle a bit and yank. i get most of the off in about 2 minutes now. some pop right off, some take a couple trys...

i don't drop any tanks anymore, not even the large transferflow ones. it is easier if you do, but not necessary. granted experience really helps here..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nick, are you refering to the Lysle tool that comes in a kit . they are round ,comes in several sizes including 1/2" ?l

·
Registered
217 Posts
That's what I used.

John

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
MGM-2,

that is the tool!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts