Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys , I'm new to this site, has any one tried this filter kit ? It sounds like its easy to install. Any info would help, and thanks hoot this site is better than the other.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I personally have not installed it yet or used it, but I have done hundreds of hours reading through so much information on this site and others, and this was the unit I chose due to installation, performance, service-ability, cost of new filters, and the Cat dealer is just down the road from me.

I believe (Diesel Power) A member on this site sells the Nicktane setup. Here is a link to his site, http://nicktane.com/ ( Make sure you read the liiterature and the article from heavy trucking on his web page). I have one on order through a group purchase that ended at the end of the year. The system will be installed Pre Oem (my conerns over voiding the waranty) and with the approval of my dealer. There are plenty of other options out there so check out the fuel reports on this site, Or do a search on (fuel or fuel filtration) and you will undoubtedly have plenty of READING AND choices to fill your mind.

New truck being built week of 02/09, arrival date by 03/09. I will have my Nicktane system ready to install when it arrives.

Best wishes and enjoy the truck, Fran

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Yes,

I have one.........I have some tricks for the install, give me a day or so and I will post some pics and a step-by-step.

IT WILL TAKE BETWEEN 2-3 HOURS WORKING AT A STEADY PACE.

With an extra pair of hands less time.

T
NY

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I have it and its great.

I will post install tips if you buy it........

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
tips at a glance. your install may vary, but on my 03 with banks exhaust:

1) install the filter bracket as a separate project (45 minutes)

the rest only took me about 2 hours

2) drop your exhaust and bend the tank deflector towards you

3) use the lisle 1/2" tool to remove the QD connector. it is easy if you push connector on and insert the tool all the way, wiggle and the tool and the line off together. tie a baggy around the end to prevent a liberal splash of diesel cologne

4) drop the fuel cooler to get the other connector.

follow the rest of the directions and fill the cat filter before installing

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
chip said:
Hi Guys , I'm new to this site, has any one tried this filter kit ? It sounds like its easy to install. Any info would help, and thanks hoot this site is better than the other.
Welcome Chip.

It was a pleasure talking with you today. Enjoy the site and remember.... no questions aren't worth asking.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Welcome Chip

I too am awaiting my Nicktane Kit. I wanted a second filter in the Pre OEM location and the Nicktane seems easy enough to return to OEM config. I have no doubt our trucks will benefit from added filtration. The is a forum here just for "Nicktane Filter Questions" that is full of tips, pics, and experiences.

There was some concern previously regarding possible warrenty denial due to modifying the fuel system. From what most people reported dealers seemed to prefer the pre OEM location. The responses ranged from "touch the fuel system and you'll void fuel related claims" to "you are only helping the truck so go ahead". IMHO it is best to speak with your service manager to see where your dealer stands. You never know, they just might learn something!

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Nicktane filter system. I didn't install it but it didn't look that hard. I do know he had to drop the drive shaft to get to the top of the tank. I have had no problems and am putting one on my fathers LLY. Eric in Grand Rapids install mind. I will go back out there to get it install with the other duramax.

·
Registered
600 Posts
We are trying to get another Group Buy organized, if you are interested. Look in the GB section.

Jim

·
Registered
772 Posts
You'll be happy with the "Nicktane" filter kit. I have a pre-Nicktane bracket, handmade by the man himself (the new brackets are laser cut and machine formed). Everything is first class. I've never had any issues with it at all.

TC

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
OK.....Some Tips for a Nicktane install.

I used two small vise graip clamps to hold the filter bracket in place under the truck.

I used a QUE-Tip and white lithium greas to locate and mark the hole to be drilled. I did this by placing a dab of grease on the Que-tip and placed it in the body above the bracket location. By rubbing the grease into the hole after the bracket is removed the exact location is clearly marked.

When installing the bracket, first bolt everything up to it except the filter and then all that needs to be hooked up is the two hoses.

The four bracket bolts are installed easier by using a small pair of spring loaded automotive tweezers to hold onto them and placing them from the top down.

The line on top of the tank should be disconnected first after opening the gas cap. This breaks the siphon effect. The LISLE tool is a must have for the lines.

I found that by using these tricks I saved quite a bit of time and mess on Mackin's install as I did on mine.

Hope this helps out anyone who installs the filter kit.

T
NY

Edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

1 - 11 of 11 Posts