Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing the Nicktane fuel filter kit. It was a pretty easy job with the right tools. I did not have to drop the 25? gallon tank to get it done. I stuck the digital camera up there to get the exact locations of fittings, and did it using the braille method.

I recommend reading the instructions first, then crawling under there, and then identifying what specific things are discussed before taking anything apart. I would highly recommend the quick disconnect tools listed on the website. The one place where I deviated was that I skipped measuring for the new hoses, and just routed the entire hose through for each one, then cutting off what I didn't need after routing. My new quick disconnects were already installed, and after cutting the other end and leaving plenty of extra for slack, I just pushed them onto the barbs at the filter head. No mistakes that way.

My only concern is that it appears somewhat vulnerable to rocks from the rear tire. Debris guard only protects from the front and the outside. I think I'll put a flap of some sort in there, and zip tie to the fender strut.

Nice kit.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Getting ready to do the same tomorrow. How long did it take you?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whole thing took about 2-1/2 hrs including getting the tools gathered, and cleaning up after the test drive. Oh, and that includes a quick lunch. I did have to bend the rock guard away from the top of the tank, and have not pushed that back up yet. You will get a little diesel fuel on you when you release the quick disconnect at the fuel cooler. I just put the drain pan on my chest, and it caught most of it. Wear safety glasses.

I'll try to get some pics and post them. Should I use Photobucket, or can they be posted here?

Give me a few days. This is the wife's daily driver and she needs it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have had mine installed for over 6 months and don't have any problems with debri hitting the filter. I really wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My concern stems from the fact that I use my truck offroad quite often, and sometimes collect sharp, marble-sized rocks in the tread. Once back on the highway, traveling at 70 or so, I can sometimes hear a rock jump out of the tread and hit the body or the wheel well. In this case, it could easily be the filter cannister.

I'm not paranoid about it, but eventually, a custom rubber flap might be a good investment.

·
Registered
824 Posts
GM has a rear brake caliper mud flap that is basically an inner fender cover that's located in front of the rear tires. Part no. is GMT800.

I never liked the fact that GM didn't have full inner fenders to keep the crap out.

This should protect the Nicktane filter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. Here's the link to the album of photos. As I mentioned, some of these I used to get a look at the connections before sticking my hands up there to start disconnecting stuff. Others depict the routing of hoses and location of the bracket after installation. Hope this helps.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a96/Desertguy/Filter%20Install/

PS: I hope this link works. I haven't posted photos here before.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Very nice job on the pictures! They are better than the ones that come with the instructions. Congrats on your install! FYI, if you lay under the passenger side of the truck and get at the quick disconnect fittings, you wont get any fuel on you. ;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
What size fuel line quick disconnect tool to use to get the OEM line off the pump??? 1/2"????? I'm having a heck of a time doing this by braill but don't want to drop the tank or move the muffler.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Okay, got the line off the pump at the tank (it is a 1/2" tool) now trying to get the line off the cooler and it too is proving to be a be-otch!

The battle continues........

·
Registered
335 Posts
Okay, got the fuel line off and attaching the new lines and have a question.....on the Nicktane (CNC machined part) which is the in/out port???? I have the bracket mounted and am assuming the in/out designations are on top of the filter bracket which I can't see now because it's mounted. Is the "in" (from fuel tank) the port towards the front of the truck???? and "out" or the line to the cooler towards the rear?????? Help, ASAP.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I did the same thing about installing without realizing the in & out ports have to be read from the top. Just get a flat mirror and a flashlight and it is easy to read.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Got 'er done!

Off to do a test drive...................

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
nothing like sunday phone support :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
nothing like sunday phone support :)
....customer service with a smile. ):h (Thanks for the help)

All appears to be working well and even took my wife out to dinner and used a splash of diesel for cologne.

·
Registered
646 Posts
"My only concern is that it appears somewhat vulnerable to rocks from the rear tire. Debris guard only protects from the front and the outside."

That is why I mounted mine "backwards" (plate to the rear). I had to buy some extra hose because they would have kinked otherwise. Its been on there for about 25K miles including some off road w/o a problem.

The Cat filter cases are pretty stout, but I wanted a little more insurance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry, Spike. Didn't check the forum yesterday. Glad you got it all together, though. My quick disconnects must have come loose easier than yours. The little plastic tool has to be rotated a little to push all the way in and really release the latches.
I just unbolted my filter head when I realized I couldn't read the in and out arrows. One bolt, and it will spin enough to read (as long as the element is not yet attached.
I also filled the element with fuel before screwing it on. I did not have to bleed the system or use the priming pump to release any air. I'm guessing the air recirculated back to the tank before it could go downstream.
I'll likely change this every time I change oil at 7000 mi. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
296 Posts
These filters are cheap if you buy right. I just got 6 of them delivered UPS for a total of $6.00 each.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts