Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got my Nicktane filter installed on Saturday. Really wanted to go to Diesel Days in Grand Rapids but it is about a 5hr. drive and figured I should probably get the filter installed instead.

All in all, I guess it went pretty well. It actually took me close to 6hrs. and lots of scratches and bruises to do it, no 2nd person to help.

I guess I would have to say that my woes were the GM quick disconnect fittings. I could not find the Lisle fitting tool set at Sears or Autozone so I bought a set at Autozone. After fighting with the fittings for nearly an hour I finally decided that the fitting set was not long enough to release the fitting. I got in the wives mobile and went to Pep Boys and found the Lisle fitting tools. They are the only way to go, they go deeper than the set I found at Autozone. Wala, get home and 5 minutes later the hose between the cooler and fuel tank is out.

I did end up dropping the tank about 3" in order to get the clearance that is necessary to see what the heck you are doing. Once the hose was out, the install went pretty quickly and then I had to learn the correct way to prime my truck. Ooops!

Not sure if I noticed any difference in the noise level of the truck as some other members of the list have noted. I only have 3900 miles on my truck as of this point though. Looking forward to the first change of the filter in about 15K miles, I will be cutting it open to see what it looks like.

I am in the cold region as well so I will let you guys know how well this thing functions in the cold. I make lots of snowmobiling trips up to the UP of Michigan where it gets very cold. I will also be visiting my frigid home town area of Thief River Falls Minnesota in December. If it doesn't freeze there it will probably not freeze anyplace.

·
Registered
71 Posts
curtisb,

Congrats on the install. Getting those "Quick Releases" to release was a pain for me too. I did the install by myself and don't think I could have done it without dropping the tank. I dropped it a good foot so that I could see what I was doing. It wasn't too bad with only a quarter tank and a floor jack.

I live in the U.P. of Michigan, so I'll be a good test for the cold weather that's coming. =)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts