Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Even 2wd 6.6 vans have been appreciating lately... but the prices on 4x4 conversions with the big Dmax have really taken off, at least since I joined the "club" back about 3-ish years. There's not a ton for sale, and the markets small but it certainly seems to be the way it's goin.

A little over a month after I "impulse" bought my 06 at a tool and die shop liquidation auction (I had a couple hours before it came up to do research... but I was sold after I saw Josh Harris' epic Dumpster videos) I came across another 06 locally Long wheel base, passenger window van with 38k miles - first owner had it for just over 10 years, only used it for a few family road trips a year/maintained it meticulously with records. Second owner owned a farm north of me and wanted something to move laborers/the whole extended family around in, they sent it to Quigley... didn't got nuts lifted it just enough for the swap, did some minor cosmetic upgrades but otherwise. They didn't end up using it nearly enough to justify having it, so it got listed for sale, asking price $30k. I went up, checked it out, thing was spotless, color was a dark hunter green.

I test drove it, loved it, we bargained and I ended up at $28k, he told me he had a second person coming by to take a look... I left, second buyer offered full asking and I kick myself for not doing the same. Especially knowing what I know now... I've been looking for a similarly clean, low miles 2006 (the sweet spot of pre-emissions with enough time in production that most of the kinks were ironed out, in my humble opinion of course) since then and I'm thinking that unicorn's gone. I may settle on finding the lowest rust example I can and plan on doing a mechanical overhaul along with conversion...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts