Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have our cabin on a lake that we go to most every weekend in the summer. There are a couple families that are usually with us, so meals generally get pretty large. We have a couple of smaller, electric skillets, but then just don't have the power you need to cook a lot of food. So I see people on my camping forum talking up these Blackstone grills, and I think to myself, "Self... you need to get one". The Big Brown Truck dropped it off on Thursday last week.

We gave it a good shakedown run this weekend. First off, I seasoned it. I didn't have time to do a 3 step seasoning process, but a single step works just fine on a new, non-rusty surface. Now, I generally prefer to use flaxseed oil for seasoning, but I didn't bring it with me to the lake, so I had to use canola oil. Flaxseed is marginally better (higher smoke point) but any vegetable based oil will work in a pinch. I prefer not to use bacon grease, lard, schmaltz or any other fat that requires refrigeration. They can turn rancid on your griddle. First I get the griddle blazing hot. As hot as you can get it. Then, using a silicone bbq brush, I coat the griddle with oil and let it smoke till its done. I then turn off the heat and apply a second coat of oil. There will be residual oil on the surface, and when its cooled off enough, I wipe it down with a paper towel (don't wait too long, it should still be plenty warm) and then let it cool to room temp. Again, I try to do this 3 times, but I didn't have the chance.

Next morning, I cooked 18 Eggs, 2 cans of Hash, 2# of Bacon, and even made some toast (whole loaf) on it. (Pics attached) The surface was acceptably non-stick at this point. Just a dab of butter for the eggs was all that was needed. I did do a second seasoning on it after breakfast. Its only gonna get better from here.

My only "Hmmm" moment was it seemed to me the flame should have been higher than what I saw with the dials on "high". I was wondering if the regulator was acting up (I have a turkey fryer that does the same thing from time to time). I cut off the burners, disconnected the tank, redid everything, and relit the burners. The flames seemed much more 'robust' after that.

Overall, this was money well spent. I cant wait til next week. I'm gonna do fajitas on it.

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Looks pretty good!

That cooking surface looks like steel, I didn’t know you could season steel like you can cast iron?? Or is the top cast?

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks pretty good!

That cooking surface looks like steel, I didn’t know you could season steel like you can cast iron?? Or is the top cast?

It's steel, and you can season it. The secret is get it hot so the pores open, and then carbonize (burn) some oil on it. If it ain't smokin' it ain't seasoned. Never clean it with anything other than water and a good scraping. You'd be amazed at what boiling hot water can clean. I usually try to 'touch-up' the seasoning every 3rd-4th use.

I have a cast-iron skillet that can cook a sunny side up egg with no oil. Now THAT'S seasoned. It's 'my' skillet. The wife won't even touch it.

Tim

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have a cast-iron skillet that can cook a sunny side up egg with no oil. Now THAT'S seasoned. It's 'my' skillet. The wife won't even touch it.

Tim
Tim I have 2 cast iron skillets that are like that. The larger one is for breakfast when we have company, the smaller one is usually when cooking for my wife and I. I like it when the eggs start to solidify and you tilt the skillet and the egg gently slides down the slope. Just like those fancy teflon skillets do in the commercials without the nasty teflon. I love my cast iron cookware.

-Mark

·
Registered
16,229 Posts
I thought you were using the smoker Tim? Well not for breakfast but for other meals.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought you were using the smoker Tim? Well not for breakfast but for other meals.
I use the smoker quite a bit. I actually bought the Blackstone mainly just for breakfasts, but the idea of fajitas was too powerful to resist.

Tim

·
Registered
16,229 Posts
I bought a huge masterbuilt smoker and about 100 lbs of different types of pellets from pecan wood to hickory to apple. Going to do another Boston Butt this weekend. Yum Yum

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did "street tacos" and "street corn" over the holiday. Street tacos are easy, cook up a few pounds of the cheapest hamburger you can get (you NEED the fat) when its done, add some water and taco seasioning and cook it down to red, greasy perfection. Oil the grill and throw on a few tortillas (grill should be medium temp) give them about 10-20 seconds to cook and then flip them. Add meat and fold them immediately (if you wait they will break instead of fold). Cook one side to desired doneness, then flip and do the other. I had 5-6 different kinds of sauces, 3 or 4 salsas, various cheeses, sour cream, and different veggies like tomato chunks, chilies, peppers, lettuce and whatnot. Everyone doctored theirs up as they saw fit.

For the street corn... Well, you gotta stay with me on this one. When I tell you how to make it, you will make the :ThrowUp: face. Everyone does till they take the first bite.

Shuck and boil your corn like normal. when they come out, let them cool just a bit, then slather them with mayonnaise. Yes. really. Mayo. (there's the :ThrowUp: face), then dust them liberally with chili powder, and then finish them off with as much grated Parmesan cheese that it will hold (use the Kraft shaker cheese. Works great). The one in the picture had nowhere near enough chili powder on it. It should be pretty much red till you hit it with the cheese.

I know, I know. It sounds like a less than appetizing combo. The mayo really freaks people out. But not one person who tried it didn't finish their whole ear. Everyone was talking for hours about how bad it sounded, vs how good it tasted.

Quick, easy, cheap and it was a hit. I was told I'll have to put that one in the rotation.

Tim

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts