Diesel Place banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
JIMPRU said:
How often should I perform oil changes? I use to change the oil in my 2001 8.1l about every 3000 miles.

Opinions vary on this, depending on if you are running synthetic or regular oil. If you are not running a bypass filter system it seems like most people are running 3-5K on regular, and maybe 4-6K on synthetic, with some going as high as 10K. Those that run the higher mileage tend to do so in conjuntion with a regular oil analysis program.

Fuel filters. I noticed alot of post about adding a second fuel filter. Is this really necessary of just a good precaution? I have read the information on the Nicktane filter and it seems pretty sound from the results that have been posted.

Again, general conscensus seems to be that the OEM filter is suspect at doing much more than trying to GM past the warranty period. The fuel injection system used here runs at very high pressures, putting the injectors at risk to premature wear from fuel contaminents. This sometimes become a holy war type subject on which filtration system is better, but bottom line is cleaner fuel is a good thing, and the OEM system does not seem to be up to the challenge.

Also what is the juice that everyone seems to use with these vehicles?

The Juice is by Edge Products...check out http://www.edgeproductsinc.com. It is a performance module that can be easily installed on the DMAX to boost HP and Torque. If you start to look at performance enhancements, its a good idea to start with EGT and boost gauges. Some of the toys can make your DMAX run a bit hot, especially if towing.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Your welcome. And welcome to The Diesel Place. It is a pretty cool place to hang out, and there are a lot of folks here that are happy to share their experience.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Gee, when I started writing my reply only Wickedsprint had replied. It's amazing the response here sometimes!!!!

John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.