Diesel Place banner

927 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  CS-Dmax
Hi Guys, I recently purchased my first Duramax Diesel Engine. 03 2500HD 4X4 LT EXT Cab. This is the first Diesel Engine that I have owned and after reading some of the great information on these engines from previous post I feel a lot better about the extra cash I spent on this one. However I have some questions About the engine.

How often should I perform oil changes? I use to change the oil in my 2001 8.1l about every 3000 miles.

Fuel filters. I noticed alot of post about adding a second fuel filter. Is this really necessary of just a good precaution? I have read the information on the Nicktane filter and it seems pretty sound from the results that have been posted.

I will be putting 285's on it here soon and know about the torsion bars adjustment. Had to do that one on the 01 HD.

Also what is the juice that everyone seems to use with these vehicles?

Would appriciate any additional information that you can provide as I plan to hold onto this one for as long as I can.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Edited by: JIMPRU
1 - 1 of 7 Posts
Welcome aboard.

If the truck is brand new, I would recommend changing the oil several times within the first 3,000 miles. The oil analysis I performed early on with my DMAX showed high silicon readings (others have had high copper). These readings have been lower with each subsequent oil change. I now change the oil every 5K miles.

If you plan on keeping the vehicle past the 5 year / 100k mile engine warranty period, the addition of a supplemental filter is highly recommended. There is virtually no downside to the addition of such filter, only an upside benefit of cleaner fuel going the the pump and injectors and longer trouble-free life for these componencts. There is a wealth of information on the various filter set-ups available and where to install them on this website and on The Diesel Page.

I'll let the other forum members fill you in on the Juice, tires, etc. Those are stock items on my truck.

Alan
See less See more
1 - 1 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.