Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I recently purchased my first Duramax Diesel Engine. 03 2500HD 4X4 LT EXT Cab. This is the first Diesel Engine that I have owned and after reading some of the great information on these engines from previous post I feel a lot better about the extra cash I spent on this one. However I have some questions About the engine.

How often should I perform oil changes? I use to change the oil in my 2001 8.1l about every 3000 miles.

Fuel filters. I noticed alot of post about adding a second fuel filter. Is this really necessary of just a good precaution? I have read the information on the Nicktane filter and it seems pretty sound from the results that have been posted.

I will be putting 285's on it here soon and know about the torsion bars adjustment. Had to do that one on the 01 HD.

Also what is the juice that everyone seems to use with these vehicles?

Would appriciate any additional information that you can provide as I plan to hold onto this one for as long as I can.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Edited by: JIMPRU

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hey I am a new owner as well, so can;t offer the insight on oil changes, but lemme be the first to congrat you on your truck and welcome to the site. -Tony

·
Registered
994 Posts
Welcome aboard.

If the truck is brand new, I would recommend changing the oil several times within the first 3,000 miles. The oil analysis I performed early on with my DMAX showed high silicon readings (others have had high copper). These readings have been lower with each subsequent oil change. I now change the oil every 5K miles.

If you plan on keeping the vehicle past the 5 year / 100k mile engine warranty period, the addition of a supplemental filter is highly recommended. There is virtually no downside to the addition of such filter, only an upside benefit of cleaner fuel going the the pump and injectors and longer trouble-free life for these componencts. There is a wealth of information on the various filter set-ups available and where to install them on this website and on The Diesel Page.

I'll let the other forum members fill you in on the Juice, tires, etc. Those are stock items on my truck.

Alan

·
Registered
665 Posts
If you have the ALLison tranny you may want to hold up on those 285's. My dealer told me the tranny couldn't be reprogramed and I might have trouble with the shift pattern and warranty claims. i changed oil and filter at 3K and will probaly go 5K intervals until I get 20K on the truck and then I'll switch to synthetic and longer change intervals, that is if GM will approve the practice. Have a Nicktane pre fuel filter and think its worth it. To much hassele to put a post filter in and don't think its worth the cost because ypou still have to change the OEM at sceduled intervals toprotect your warranty. Going to change the Nicktane catipillar filtar when its got 10K on it. Will cut it open and see what it looks like then and determine how long I'll leave the replacement filter in. Will still change the OEM at scheduked intervals. That juice system is for those that want to hot rod thier diesels, it will also void your warranty claims if left on when you go in for service. Some dealers even look for eveidence that you had a Juice or similar set up installed. Have friend that has similar set up plus lots of other stuff and his truck will lay the rubber down and create big smoke cloud. I think he just gave up his warranty rights, he can afford it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Oil Change Frequency and additional filtering - That should probably go in the war room.

Here is my .0199 cents worth. I run to 7500 using synthetic oil and a dual remote bypass filter setup. I have analysis done and know that I am not in any danger of damaging the engine. The oil for a diesel collects soot and the combustion byproducts react differently than with a gas engine. Most folks run between 3000 to 10000 miles and some use the oil life system from GM. A bunch of that has to do with what type of oil you use, do you have extra filtration, personal preference. Also, remember there are 10 quarts in this bad boy. I would "recommend" 7500 for a synthetic oil and 5000 for a dino after you get the first couple of changes out of the way. I would do one at 500, 1000 and 3000 to get the casting junk out. I would also consider a remote bypass oil filter.

Fuel filters - Put on whatever brand (Cat, Stanadyne, Raco, Baldwin aka Mega) in whatever position (pre or post OEM), but put one on. You will see a better running engine, possibly even better mileage and certainly cleaner fuel. The cheapest insurance you can buy for your injectors and fuel pump.

The Juice - It is a power module that goes in-between the CAN connectors under the hood. It modifies the info going to and from the computer without changing the programming. It has been out the longest and is the most refined because of that. There are several others that are out there and some are catching up quickly. Some other units have additional features like real time data, code reading and erasing, tire size change and speed limit change capability. You have a lot of reading to do on this subject as well as filtration. Once you have read until your head is about to explode, make up your mind on what you want and are comfortable with.

·
Registered
217 Posts
JIMPRU said:
How often should I perform oil changes? I use to change the oil in my 2001 8.1l about every 3000 miles.

Opinions vary on this, depending on if you are running synthetic or regular oil. If you are not running a bypass filter system it seems like most people are running 3-5K on regular, and maybe 4-6K on synthetic, with some going as high as 10K. Those that run the higher mileage tend to do so in conjuntion with a regular oil analysis program.

Fuel filters. I noticed alot of post about adding a second fuel filter. Is this really necessary of just a good precaution? I have read the information on the Nicktane filter and it seems pretty sound from the results that have been posted.

Again, general conscensus seems to be that the OEM filter is suspect at doing much more than trying to GM past the warranty period. The fuel injection system used here runs at very high pressures, putting the injectors at risk to premature wear from fuel contaminents. This sometimes become a holy war type subject on which filtration system is better, but bottom line is cleaner fuel is a good thing, and the OEM system does not seem to be up to the challenge.

Also what is the juice that everyone seems to use with these vehicles?

The Juice is by Edge Products...check out http://www.edgeproductsinc.com. It is a performance module that can be easily installed on the DMAX to boost HP and Torque. If you start to look at performance enhancements, its a good idea to start with EGT and boost gauges. Some of the toys can make your DMAX run a bit hot, especially if towing.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Your welcome. And welcome to The Diesel Place. It is a pretty cool place to hang out, and there are a lot of folks here that are happy to share their experience.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Gee, when I started writing my reply only Wickedsprint had replied. It's amazing the response here sometimes!!!!

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts