Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The father of one of my very good friends recently purchased a 1996 Ford Powerstroke/Auto.

He asked me about a Hypertec?

I told him I wouild check.

He wants some extra towing power. What is the scoop? How much power can he add? Whos product? Does he need exaust? Built tranny?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
My brother has had his Edge Evolution on his 2000 7.3L since the first week of April. He calls at least once a week with a kill story. He is very happy.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Trippin. I assume it will work on a 1996 7.3? I had better go check EDGE for him.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Bronco said:
Thanks Trippin. I assume it will work on a 1996 7.3? I had better go check EDGE for him.

According to the Edge web site it will!

I have another friend that just put one on his wife's Excursion. And she loves it as well!

Edited by: Trippin

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Trippin said:
My brother has had his Edge Evolution on his 2000 7.3L since the first week of April. He calls at least once a week with a kill story. He is very happy.

Guy

I take it he has never ran up against your Duramax has he?

mike

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Mike L. said:
Trippin said:

Guy

I take it he has never ran up against your Duramax has he?

mike

He was so tickled with the Evolution he couldn't wait to have me drive it. I just had to smile and say "yeah man it feels great!"

And he hasn't driven my truck with the Trans or the stacks. He loves his Ford so much I can't bear to burst his bubble. I mean after all.... he is my baby brother.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are several methods of adding towing power. I personally have the SuperChips tuner, which was on my truck when I bought it, so I don't know that I could recommend one device over any other. Just research thoroughly before you lay down the cash. One thing you need to remember is that adding performance also results in higher exhaust temperatures which if allowed to go too high is a very bad thing for your turbo. I'd say the safe route to go when using any of these power adders is to also include a larger down pipe and exhaust, and guages to monitor exhaust temps. In everything that I have read, the auto tranny seems to be the weakest point in the PSD system, so a tranny beef-up would be a good thing also. Included in that would be a tranny temp guage. Don't want to cook that expensive piece either. The stock intake system is not much to brag about either. You might want to look at an upgrade in that department as well. Ford sells an upgrade called AIS and I have read about Tymar set-ups. Do a search for these and find out as much info as you can. Then you can make an educated decision as to what kinds of upgrades are needed for the kind of towing you are gonna do. Also remember, the stock truck is a pretty darned good tow vehicle the way it came off the assembly line.........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts