Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a really good on a 93 sierra 3500 and I am going to get the engine rebuilt. Since I am doing a rebuild what are somethings I can do to gain some power. I will be mainly using the truck for a camper while towing my race car. It's the mechanical pump and has a overdrive underdrive ? tranny upgrade.
Thanks trev

·
Administrator
15,966 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

The first thing you would need to do is inspect the block carefully for cracks before attempting to do any rebuild.

The best performance mods you can do for the 6.5L is :
Larger intake
Larger exhaust
OEM oil cooler lines changed over to Stainless Braided lines
OPS Relay Mod
Replace/Upgrade Harmonic Balancer and Pulley

For towing:
Cooling System Upgrades ( listed within the FAQ)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to DieselPlace

The first thing you would need to do is inspect the block carefully for cracks before attempting to do any rebuild.

The best performance mods you can do for the 6.5L is :
Larger intake
Larger exhaust
OEM oil cooler lines changed over to Stainless Braided lines
OPS Relay Mod
Replace/Upgrade Harmonic Balancer and Pulley

For towing:
Cooling System Upgrades ( listed within the FAQ)
Thank you
Is there any preferred harmonic balancer to go with. Feed the beast mod beneficial?
And since I will be rebuilding it arp mains and head studs ?
Use the stock head gaskets ?

·
Administrator
15,966 Posts
Thank you
Is there any preferred harmonic balancer to go with. Feed the beast mod beneficial?
And since I will be rebuilding it arp mains and head studs ?
Use the stock head gaskets ?
You can use the OEM Balancer and Pulley or upgrade to the Fluidampr Balancer and Billet Pulley and never worry about the HB again.

Feed the Beast has little benefit.
ARP Studs are a plus and use Felpro or Victor Reinz head gaskets

Install a K47 intake and a 4" exhaust to let it breathe

·
Registered
134 Posts
Install a K47 intake and a 4" exhaust to let it breathe

where i can find a K47 air box?

i would need to buy ....never found one available

what i need is the lower and upper shell, without other connector ... but never found one used available for sell

new is impossible (discontinued)

·
Administrator
15,966 Posts
where i can find a K47 air box?

i would need to buy ....never found one available

what i need is the lower and upper shell, without other connector ... but never found one used available for sell

new is impossible (discontinued)
They can be hard to locate but, they are out there..

You have to scour the net and look on sites like Craigslist, car-part.com., eBay, etc..
Walkthrough local junkyards and keep your eyes open here in our Marketplace section.
They do pop up from time to time.

When on the hunt, be sure to find a k47 that is for a Diesel Engine.
The gasser k47 will not work..

·
Just add Fuel
548 Posts
Power is easy. As with all diesels, more fuel = more power. Put on a bigger injection pump. Conestoga diesel is one source to look at.
Keeping it together once you start putting more fuel to it is the harder part. As mentioned by others, cracks are common in the bottom end. Head cracks are also common. Some can be ignored, some can't.
Open up the exhaust as much as possible. I custom fabbed my complete system out of stainless. Put more fuel to it without opening your exhaust is asking for problems.
If you're going to put more fuel to it, head gaskets get difficult to keep in place. Dropping compression will help. Head studs will help. I also oring-ed my block.
With my electronic injection pump and an automatic trans, I went BIG on my turbo to keep back pressure down. I really only get smoke when I want to (stab the pedal). I don't know how big you can go with the turbine with your mechanical pump. Mechanical pumps seem to like to deliver more fuel at lower RPM - and a big turbo won't want to spool at low RPM. However you may be able to get around that with your transmission and torque converter - make sure you don't lug the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts