Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just found this site, looks like I may have found a second home. I just got my '03 quad-cab Duramax and I love it. My question is what are the mandatory mods that need to be done first? So far I've added the Escalade gauges, tinted the front windows to match the rear windows, added a billet bowtie and grill, and I've done a torsion crank to kinda level the truck out and I just put on 18" Weld Slingblade 8's. What's next?

(hope this was the right place to post his question
)

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
juice & attitude, 4" exhaust, bilstiens, high idle, remote starter

·
Registered
463 Posts
Don't forget the AFE Stage II intake.

Kevin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
o.k., so what the hell is juice and attitude
?

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
bubfryder said:
Hi all,

Just found this site, looks like I may have found a second home. I just got my '03 quad-cab Duramax and I love it. My question is what are the mandatory mods that need to be done first? So far I've added the Escalade gauges, tinted the front windows to match the rear windows, added a billet bowtie and grill, and I've done a torsion crank to kinda level the truck out and I just put on 18" Weld Slingblade 8's. What's next?

(hope this was the right place to post his question
)

Just give me your credit card number.........after 2-3 days UPS will be your next best friend

Seriously though, Gauges , 4" exhaust, Afe or other free flowing intake system........a tuner or box and then start saving for a tranny

T
NY

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Welcome, and don't get too "stunned" by the process. Many of the people on here are more performance-mod oriented. In a nutshell, the most "basic" modifications and add-ons are:

1. shocks - the OEMs are basically lousy right off the lot and it's the quickest, cheapest and best mod you can make. There are a few popular brands, but Bilstein is the most popular and my personal choice.

2. Filtration (air, fuel and oil). AIR: The OEM paper air element is marginal and restrictive. There are many choices from simple filter replacements to high-end airbox units. There are a couple of very strong "camps" on this issue. Personally, I prefer an oiled-foam cartridge in the factory airbox and have both an Amsoil and a Uni unit that I rotate. FUEL: It has been determined through a preponderous and painful process spanning the entire "life" of the Duramax engine that the OEM fuel filter (all made by Racor to the same specifictions -regardless of "branding") is marginal in protecting the Bosch injectors from the generically poor U.S. diesel fuel quality. There are a wide variety of additional fuel filtering systems and applications. These are quite "polarized" too. Bottom line is that you will be doing your injection system a lot of good by adding increased filtration - but at a question of warranty issues. I have a Kennedy Megafilter mounted post-OEM under the airbox. You will have to make your own decision. OIL: There is plenty of protection provided in the factory oil filtration - as long as you use a quality filter (AC Delco/Baldwin/etc. NOT FRAM!) The "life blood" of a diesel is clean oil, so some have gone to additional, or bypass, oil filtration. I run an Amsoil dual-remote system.

3. Exhaust- A turbocharged diesel performs best when there is maximum unrestricted exhaust flow - allows the turbo to do its job and helps to reduce exhaust gas temperatures. There are many, many exhaust options, from straight piping to muffler changes to full systems. Noise, cost and use all come into the decision. I have replaced only the muffler in my stock pipes with a 4" flow-through muffler. I'm very happy with that.

Those are the basics, next step is performance tuners. Tuners are getting as available and different as fuel filters. There are add-on "boxes" or chips, programmers and computer replacements. Many are "hot" or competition tunes and even being "stacked" (2 or more tuning devices added together). They are mostly being used for hot-rodding, but there are a lot of benefits from some of the systems for moderate and daily use. I have an Edge Juice chip and LOVE it! I am not a hot-rodder and treat my truck very conservatively. Using a chip or tuner at lower levels provides fantastic benefits to towing by changing injection timing and programming to greatly enhance low and mid-range power and reduce frequent shifting out of overdrive as found in the OEM program. If you're not a racer and don't tow, you don't need a chip or programmer. If you DO opt for a chip - especially if you tow, you should have gauges - an EGT gauge at the very least. It's very easy to get to dangerous EGT levels with any power adder, especially under load! The transmission modifications are very expensive and only necessary when hot-rodding. If you do not add a high horsepower chip or "flog" your truck you will not need transmission work. If you do plan to race - you will have to invest in the tranny.

Trim, doo-dads, etc are territory that I won't even attempt. Hope this helps.
<edited><editID>Idle_Chatter</ed

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
bubfryder said:
o.k., so what the hell is juice and attitude
?

Its a drug!

"Drugs are bad....ooookkkk"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts