Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first new used truck a year ago. A 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD duramax/allison. What a truck!

I use it about half the time to tow my 25' 7,000 lb travel trailer, and the rest of the time it's my "get around" vehicle. Typical suburban driving, when not towing the trailer.

I'm just curious about one thing. Whenever I drive over the speed bumps at the shopping center near home, it always feels like the rear wheels bump a lot harder and higher than the front ones. Now, I'm pretty sure the height of the speed bump is not increasing between the time the front wheels go over it and the time the back ones do! :joke: So the difference I feel must be due to inherent differences in the stiffness and feel of the front coil springs vs. the rear leafs (leaves?).

Am I right, that leaf springs are inherently stiffer than coil? If so, in general, what's the rationale for putting one type or the other on any truck, either front or rear?

Thx for the education.

Tom

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Our front suspensions have torsion bars not coils. Their is a differance in spring rate from the front to the rear. Its much more noticable with the truck unloaded because their isnt so much weight over the rear end. My truck rides like the front when I put about 2200 lbs in the bed.

Bentley

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
When unloaded, these trucks are very light in the rear compared to the front end. Mine weighs 2670 Lbs Rear vs 4000 Lbs Front, unloaded with a full tank of fuel. the GM recomended tire pressure is 80 psi rear and 60 psi front. They don't want to take any chances with people overloading the tires at lower pressure so they have you air up as if you are fully loaded. When fully loaded my truck rides fine with 80 psi on the rear.

I lowered my tire pressures to 60 psi all around when running empty and it made a very noticeable difference in the ride when empty. I have a portable air compressor in my truck so it's not a big deal to add air when I have a load.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts