Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

hello!...i'm the VERY new daddy to a 2001 GMC 2500HD CC SB 4X4 LST
...it just turned 40k...LOVE it so far...

the maint advice here tells me it's time for FOB, etc...the sales mgr at the re-sale lot where i adpoted my jimmy told me to use only rotella oil...any opinions re that?...what do the dealerships use?

there is a GMC dealership close by...shud i have them do my maint, or shud i find a reputable independent?

any and all input is VERY welcome...i've NO experience with diesels, and am not much of a mechanic...took college placement courses
instead of auto shop

thanks.............wayne

</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
514 Posts
Where in NOVA? Any CH or CI API rated oil in your choice of 5w-40 or 15w-40 range. Lots to choose from Rotella, Dello, Delvac1 etc; Edited by: Hound

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have only used Rotella in my diesel trucks and equipment for 20 years, I'm sure there are better oils out there at a higher price, but if you change your oil at 5 or 6,000 and use a high quality oil filter, I prefer Baldwin, your engine should outlast the truck.

An old farmer once told me, clean oil, clean fuel and clean air will keep any engine running a long time!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

thanks for the info...i went to the nearby GM dealer to ask about servicing, etc...they told me they use mobil diesel oil

the diesel mech there advised me to change oil, filters, etc every 5k and my D/A wud never fail me

any other advice wud be greatly appreciated...

hound, i live in alexandria

wayne

</TD></TR>
<TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="on">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
514 Posts
Wayne, I work pretty close to there. Did the dealer tell you how much they charge for 10QT of oil, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super?, and a filter? I would guess that it's pretty expensive compared to something you could learn to do yourself on an afternoon. Parts are usually a heck of a lot cheaper too if you order off the net. You've also got a fuel filter to worry about changing around every 10,000 miles and from some of the prices the dealers charged the guys on this BB to do it'd more than pay to learn to do it yourself. That way if you have a problem on the road with your fuel filter you know how to fix it. None of it's really all that difficult once you've seen someone do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts