Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2004 2500HD, will be a week old on Saturday. This is my first diesel. My previous truck I only put about 5000 miles a year on, 75% NOT towing, 25% towing, this truck will be similar in use. I always changed the oil every 3-4 months anyway on the previous truck. Question is this, when should I change things like oil, front and rear diff, etc.? The manual says to change the oil at least once a year, no matter of mileage. I have no problem with that. I'm thinking maybe twice a year just to be safe. What about the other fluids? Since it's going to take a year to put 5000 miles on it, should I wait that long. I won't be doing any towing until at least late Spring.

Thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
I put about 8k per year on myself.

Here is what I have done:

First oil change and filter @ 1000 miles

Second oil change @ 3000 miles

Every 5000 miles thereafter.

Changed the rear differential fluid after 1000 miles (towed on 8k pound trailer for 400 miles during this period). Will change every 25K miles.

Changed Allison spin-on tranny filter at 5000 miles per advise of tranny experts on The Diesel Page. Also filled with Transynd at this time. Will change tranny filter and fluid every 25K miles.

If you do a lot of short trips, you may want to change your oil more often than once per year.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I did the rear diff at 1K. I did the front diff and tcase at 5K, and had the tranny flushed about that time too. I'm using 100% Mobil 1 everywhere.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JimWilson,

Where abouts are you in NJ, if you don't mind, or you can PM me? I'm in Burlington county. Who do you use for your service? I couldn't buy the truck locally (I tried), I bought it up in Nazareth, PA, but that's too far to go for routine maintenance. I now need a reliable place to go for service.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts