Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. Rookie here. Just picked up an 05 LLY/Allison and have a question. First here are the basics.

Truck is a dailer driver. It will tow 14k on a 600 mile round trip once a month through mountains. Other than that a 60 mile level round trip to rok every day empty. I want to use a flash programmer vs. a tuner for simplicity, tire size adjustment and ease of removal when going to the dealer. I am not building a race/pulling truck. I will not be doing any exhaust mods anytime soon.

My goal in this is twofold and in this order:

1. Fuel economy (not expecting a ton, just anything helps)

2. Any power I can get on top of that is great, but not more important than the above.

I have pretty much settled in on the Predator or the Hypertech. However it seems like there is definitely a Pred bias on here and I am curious if you can tell me why? Looking for factually based comments here, not just "this sucks". Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
1. Youre foot determines your fuel economy. Not a tuner. These tuners from what I've seen and heard do nothing to help with the economy except to make the DIC mileage reading go off in the weeds. Some of us are experimenting with EFI LIve to see if we can fine tune the trucks to give better ecomony without sacrificing power.

Since the dealer is your largest worry I'd go with either one. The predator I know in V2.02 did more work to make it right than they did in V2.0. If you go for the Predator make sure you get V2.02. I have no experience with the Hypertech so I won't comment on that.

BTW welcome to the site!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Predator has a higher horsepower rating than the Hypertech and stacks well with the Edge. That is why, I believe, it gets more support on this site as the majority of the more vocal/regular members are all about POWER.
...and so here I am! :ro) :ro) :ro) :ro)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Go to KennedyDiesel.com, John has dyno plots for those two programmers plus more. JK can also build you a custom tune based on your intended usage.

No stacking needed!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have the Predator v2.02 (upgraded from v2.0). My dad has the hypertech. I have driven both trucks.

As for power; the Hypertech at 54 hp is only slightly better than v2.0 @ 40hp. With Pred v2.02, the Hypertech @ 54 hp won't touch the Predator @ 40 hp. I think the added boostof the v2.02 Predator makes the difference. I keep my Predator on 65 hp. My Dad can't touch me ):h .

As for fuel economy; I'm not too sure that you will see much improvement with either. I was hoping to, but I can't say that I did. My Dad gets better mileage than I do but mine is an '05 4x4 and his is an '04.5 2wd.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mad correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think anything stacked with the edge well they had turbo bark with running either on to high. As for me I have the pred and love it I will NEVER run a hypertech again.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I have never had anything stack well with the Edge. Others have had better luck. I don't see where you would need to stack anything with what you want to do. Go with the Predator or the Edge. Both very good units and the Edge has gauegs with it in the Attitude.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I didn't have much luck stacking the E/J with the Pred. The only one that worked reliably was the Edge with the Predator on 40hp tune since the predator on that level (2.00version)didn't include any extra timing.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Yep, think you're right. Like I said, "If I'm not mistaken"...woops! Too much information! :(

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I think the Predator has better diagnostic capability also, but I have not played with Hypertech recently.

·
Registered
207 Posts
When I removed the Predator for dealer visit to fix the belt chirp I ran 2 tanks and hand calculated the milage 16.2 mpg both tanks .with the Predator 65 hp tune I get 18.0mpg hand calculated .more power crisper throttle response and better fuel mileage .can't beat that with a stick .
:ro)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
16 is about dead on what it's getting now. 2 more MPG and extra umph would be pretty sweet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts