Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

Please bear with me, first time I have posted here. I live near LA, just got back from Phoenix last night with my new (used) 2WD shortbed 2500HD D/A. Drove great all of the way in from Phoenix. I do have a couple of probably obvious (probably dumb) questions that I am hoping you can give me advice on?

This truck is a very good condition unit. I ran CarFax, my brother works at a GMC dealership so he was able to pull the original invoice for me. I test drove it, looked it over and everything seemed pretty normal, no injector issues (I believe), no electrical, engine, suspension, paint or body issues that I could see. It had 16,916 miles on it when I picked it up. I drove about 450 miles last night from Phoenix and every thing seemed fine, however there are a few little things that I could use some help on.

1. Steering wheel is off center by about 1-1.5" Truck still has stock 245 size tires on it. I take it that this can be remedied with a simple alignment usually?

2. The driver side Duramax badge (above the 2500HD badge) looks like it is warped. It is securely fastened to the body on either end but it kind of bulges out away from the body panel in the middle, by a good 1/4". The one on the passenger side is flush as it should be. Should I have this replaced? I am concerned about an area that may have originally had some kind of adhesive on the paint from where the badge originally was, becoming corroded or water or debris getting trapped behind it and starting a rust problem. Advice? Don't know if GM will replace this under warranty as it is kind of cosmetic and kind of not.

3. At some point, somebody smoked a cigar in this truck. It's not overpowering, but it's definitely there. Neither I or my wife smoke but it really is bugging my wife. Do you feel a full carpet and upholstery shampoo and cleaning might alleviate this along with an air freshener or do you think the smell will always be there no matter what we do? Doesn't bother me too much, eespecially once I have been driving a while but it is bugging the heck out of my wife. Advice? All cloth, if it matters.

4. As the new owner of a used vehicle with approximately 19,000 miles or about a year and half of factory GM 3 year 36k mile warranty, do I need to "register" the truck with GM with me as the new owner or something in order to obtain warranty work? I have the owners manual and the little service manual that goes in the same owners manual slip cover but other than that, no warranty transfer type of paperwork. Advice?

5. The truck is at 17k miles. Is the normal factory service at 15k miles? Would a GM computer somewhere have whether or not this truck has had it's 15k service? If you had just bought this truck, would you take it to the dealer to have them "go through it" a total inspection? Or if I can verify that the truck had it's 15k service so I not need to bother with this? I read about all of the axles down on fluid and other gotchas on here and I am concerned. I am by no means a mechanic, I can do simple things but I don't want to overlook an obvious "boy, if you would have caught this earlier type of issue".

6. The last one (and this is a real dummy question). I tried adjusting the clock in the stereo. I used to sell car stereos so I am not completely incompetent. This truck has the stock stereo with the CD player. In the manual, it alludes to setting the clock with the set button or setting the clock with a the hours and minutes button (no pictures of where these are located). This head unit doesn't seem to have either button or function. I even tried holding down every button on the stereo while holding the seek button but no dice. Is the clock "set" button located somewhere besides the head unit. Same with the hours/minutes buttons? I cannot locate either. Am I really that lame or what am I overlooking here. It's pretty sad when I RTFM and I still cannot set the clock. Either I am thick or this manual is wrong. Advice? Did they relocate this

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi:

"I tried adjusting the clock in the stereo. I used to sell car stereos so I am not completely incompetent."

I take it back, I am totally incompetent. The stereo does have the Hours and Minutes buttons, I just couldn't see them with just the overhead reading light last night. I looked today in bright daylight today, there they were, plain as day. Duh! Maybe some new glasses for me are in order?

Dan

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Puredrifting

Hello and welcome to the forum ... I'll see if I can help answer some questions ...

1) You should be able to get this fixed under warranty and yes it's done via a simple alignment ...

2) The badge is simply stuck on with adhesive .... Seems like that one may have been replaced at one time this is relatively inexpensive and you may be able to do your self with a new part of course some prepsol and a good eye ...

3) Best to see a detailer as they will have special cleaner and deodorizers ... Over the counter stuff will only mask the odor ...

4) Your vin number is your registration with GM ....The first time your in for service it will be upgraded showing you as the current owner.

5) The services normal maintaince schedule will very on your driving habits ... Search the forum for more info ...Lots of info in the DIY forum like this http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1780&PN=1 ....

Ease the seat back and enjoy your new ride ......... Good luck ...

Mac

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and welcome to the forum ... I'll see if I can help answer some questions ...
Thank you for the welcome!

1) You should be able to get this fixed under warranty and yes it's done via a simple alignment ...
Really? They will fix alignment under warranty? That would be a first, every other vehicle I have ever owned, they have considered alignment a wear and tear issue.

2) The badge is simply stuck on with adhesive .... Seems like that one may have been replaced at one time this is relatively inexpensive and you may be able to do your self with a new part of course some prepsol and a good eye ...
I will have to look into this. I am am just concerned about damaging the paint if I just pop it off. Are there any special ways to do this that will ensure not taking off the paint with the ends that are glued on?

3) Best to see a detailer as they will have special cleaner and deodorizers ... Over the counter stuff will only mask the odor ...
That's what I thought...

4) Your vin number is your registration with GM ....The first time your in for service it will be upgraded showing you as the current owner.
Great, that sounds easy!

5) The services normal maintaince schedule will very on your driving habits ... Search the forum for more info ...Lots of info in the DIY forum like this <FONT color=#800080>http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1780&PN=1</font> ....
Okay, I'll check that out.

Ease the seat back and enjoy your new ride .........
I already am. This truck is awesome. I had a 95 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton that I liked but had to get rid of years ago because the gas was killing me, my gas bill was around $400.00 per month, too much! I got 21 mpg coming back from Phoenix with the cruise set at 75. Incredible for a 6,000 to 7,000 lb. vehicle. I am going for a 5th wheel in the Spring so this truck will be great for pulling that.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts