Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys. New member here. About to purchase my first truck to tow 12,000 lb fifth wheel.

I am debating between 2wd and 4wd. I'll probably never need the 4wd. It's $3k more. It's heavier, so less towing capacity....But on the other hand, maybe it's good insurance for the rare "stuck" situation.

Question is this: If I don't use the 4wd at all, does it require any periodic maintenance? Will fuel mileage suffer? Will the ride be worse? Any other advantages of disadvantages I'm not aware of?

Thanks.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Only a fluid change within the first 1000 miles. Then just engage it a few times a year to keep the seals flexed and the parts lubricated.

I will never buy 2wd again. Consider resale also. I know when I sell vehicles outright or go to buy one the big question is always..... is it a 4x4?

That is unless you specifically want 2WD for other reasons. Some guys lower trucks.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
157 Posts
Resale value is the biggest reason to get 4WD, IMHO.

Another thought - when towing a heavy fifth wheel (or even not), you can literally get stuck on wet grass. As you said, 4wd is a measure of insurance.

If you ever travel to Tahoe (I noticed you're in the bay area) or over the Sierras, having 4WD will allow you to drive on through without having to put chains on when it snows.

·
Registered
16 Posts
3 years ago I had the exact same thoughts as you. I bought the 4x2. Didn't think I would need 4x4. Don't go off roading, except in muddy racetrack campgrounds. Got stuck twice towing a 32' TT. Am trading it in tommorrow for a 4x4. Get the 4x4 for the few times you will need it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi, just another opinion based on 20 or so years of replacing trucks every few years. I always skimped on something so I would feel a little less guilty and justify my purchase easier. My wife kept saying get what you want and keep it longer (she's a keeper). I went all out this time and glad I did (now I can't stop LOL). You might want to think about a 3500 crew cab. The dually gives you a lot more stability towing and the back seat area is huge and folds down creating a big platform for storage or riding with pets (dogs in my case). The downside is narrow roads and parking lots but I've gotten used to it. Whatever you get, you're going to love it! Good Luck on your search.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with rp43fan's suggestion. I have had 4x4's for years. When I moved to southern GA in '97, I decided I no longer needed a 4x4, so I bought one of the new 4x2 Silverados when they came out in '98. I got stuck at the beach, in my yard hauling mulch, and a couple of times with my trailer. Traded it in a couple of years later on a 4x4 - learned my lesson!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts