Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, the wif just picked up her 04 2500 HD D/A last weekend. I just got out of the hospital suffering from dehydration from all of the drooling......
I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT

Anyway, before I froth some more and end up in the hospital again, some questions.....

Recommendations please

First oil change-
Oil-
I will be running synthetic as I live in MN and love the extended oil changes

Frequency of changes

THanx for all of your input

One thing- I was hauling her trailer yesterday and I noticed that when I pulled up to the fuel station, the oil pressure was 25-30 psi in gear at idle. Is this normal?

the truck has <700 miles on it

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Welcome

Most run it to about 500 then 2500 then 5000 or there abouts all on dino to eliminate the initial break in wear metals ....

Most wouldn't switch to synthetic till then do to cost ...

Good luck with your new ride ...

Mac

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mackin said:
Welcome

Most run it to about 500 then 2500 then 5000 or there abouts all on dino to eliminate the initial break in wear metals ....

Most wouldn't switch to synthetic till then do to cost ...

Good luck with your new ride ...

Mac

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
PSI sounds normal ....

The crankcase holds 10 Quarts with filter change ....

Consider a

Available thru a vendor here ...

For more info Fumoto Valve</A>..I suggest the one with the nipple .... This will make oil changes simple and fairly clean for the do it your selfer ...

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx Mac, Dave. Was just under hood and truck. IMPRESSIVE. Very well thot out as far as (spin-on) trans/engine filters. Even excited to do maint.....

rog

·
Registered
199 Posts
I drove 1000 miles on the factory engine oil. I considered synthetic oil but decided on dino due to cost of synthetics and my reluctance to drive extended miles on the synthetic. I will change my oil at 3000-5000 mile intervals.

Just a note I took my truck back to the dealer for the 1000 mile change and the service writer did not understand my concerns for such an early oil change. Also the dealer only charged me $12.95 to change my oil and filter and I supplied the oil.

Corsair

·
Registered
274 Posts
I understand the oil on the LLY will get much more contaminated with acids due to the EGR system. Much better to change oil often. Cheap insurance in my book. I will be running Dello 400 15-40 and change every 3000. miles. If i'm in error, I want to error on the safe side.

P.S. The oil pressure is the same in my truck, Lower at idle and higher under load. It stays high when you cold start the truck though, Until it is up to Temp.Edited by: LLY DMAX

·
Registered
27 Posts
Corsair....why change oil at 1,000 miles....(i am new to a deisel excuse me if this question is stupid but i have to learn somehow)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts