Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not want to trash the tranny and not really looking for a big power boost.
Manufacturer advertisements makes it look like the various chips also provide improved mileage.
Therefore what are the recommendations for a boost in mileage and driveability?
Leave it stock or a chip run at a low increase setting?

Thanks

2002 2500HD DMAX extcab shortbed 4wd

·
Registered
185 Posts
Great question...look forward to some replies. I have experience with propane injection. This will give me @ 3-4 mpg better fuel economy while set on cruize on the freeway. I'm using about one gallon of LP per 100 miles.

I just received a Quadzilla Stealth 110 hp tuner this very afternoon....so I'm anxious to compare. The problem around here...in winter....is it gets cold enough that the LP in the tank won't turn into vapor....or not at the normal rate. So I don't bother filling the tank for the coldest months. Thus the new tuner.

Good advice from educated people on this site and others say to install an EGT gauge before you start "Tinkering".

Once you get a taste of a Duramax that is being "Woken up"....you'll only want more!! My wife was upset with me for the LP set-up and gauges......now she's upset when the LP is gone!!!

Good Luck....Have Fun,

Wayne

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I had the Quad 110 and then what Sandman said came into play, "Once you get a taste of a Duramax that is being "Woken up"....you'll only want more!!"

I sent in for the 165 upgrade!!!

Now I'm thinking about the impact on the tranny so I run only at 110 for now. To answer sparkyp from my experience at the 70 tune which is where I ran mine the most so far, I gained 1.5MPG. I say that based on making the same trips using the same highways and speeds. I haven't made the trip at 110 yet but will the last week of January.

The thing that could skew my number is my truck is still pretty tight at only 6700 miles and the Dmax seems to increase in mileage up to at least 10K or more from posts I've read.

So far the 110 seems to use more fuel around town but in all fairness I think it has a lot to do with my struggle keepin my foot out of it. I don't know what I'd do if I had BMDMAX, sdaver, kingd, tomac, mac or some of these other guys power.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
sparkyp said:
Leave it stock or a chip run at a low increase setting?

Thanks

2002 2500HD DMAX extcab shortbed 4wd
Considerations....

Warranty. Are you willing to remove it when you take it in for warranty work.

Some chips/programmers will reduce power when they detect tranny slippage. Juice is one that does.

For all around driving and increased "excitement" by all means.... get a box. The Dmax has a ton of unleashed power that a good bit of is within the limits of the drivetrain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks guys for the input. I am looking forward to see if we get any more opinions.
I have approximately 30K miles so not real concerned about warranty work but I do want
to protect the truck from any unnecessary damage.
For right now it looks like I am looking at adding fuel filtration, nicktane or mega,
and gauges and juice or maybe juice/attitude.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Even at my current power level and my spastic right foot, "Um, gee Officer, I had a foot cramp that made me use full throttle, yeah, that's it!" I still get anywhere from 15 to 18 miles to the gallon around town. I usually only see the 15 if I have done a bunch of dyno runs or if I was drag racing.

That is the nice thing about adding power to a diesel, the milage is all up to how well you can control that right foot.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
sparkyp,

No matter who's filter kit you choose, do it sooner rather than later! It seems that NC is a prime area for injector failure. Either that or high Duramax population per capita. High Point, Randy Marion, Parks Chev all have been adding filtration. I'd suggest FPPF or Primrose also.

Simplest and unobtrusive is the Edge Juice set to the default settings. You can expand from there if need be...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kennedy said:
sparkyp,

No matter who's filter kit you choose, do it sooner rather than later!  It seems that NC is a prime area for injector failure.  Either that or high Duramax population per capita.  High Point, Randy Marion, Parks Chev all have been adding filtration.  I'd suggest FPPF or Primrose also. 

Simplest and unobtrusive is the Edge Juice set to the default settings.  You can expand from there if need be...
Thanks. While generally on the topic of filtration, are there other "kits" for filtration?
I suspect that I will be installing the kit myself. Not a professional mechanic or anything but
in a previous life (too many years ago to get specific) I have been both auto mechanic and motorcycle mechanic
by profession (prior to finding better jobs with electronics/computers)

I really appreciate everyones recommendations

Sparky

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Many people here have engineered their own unique setup. It's not really that hard...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kennedy said:
Many people here have engineered their own unique setup. It's not really that hard...
Thanks again JK. I don't want to become a pest with this but...
It has seemed to me that engineering a setup would be quite possible but with one concern. Wouldn't you have to essentially cut fuel lines if you were engineering a setup of your own? Maybe I am missing something but I kinda thought that was a major piece or advantage of the "kit".

Sparky

·
Registered
32 Posts
I pulled the outlet line off the OEM filter, ran it to a Cat filter, and used a brass barbed fitting to go back into the OEM line. I can remove or bypass my post OEM filter within minutes if need be. My bracketing is not as neat as others but I made it from flat stock that was laying around my garage.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts