Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals. First off this is a great forum and whoever put it together did a top notch job. I just got my GMC 2500HD D/A two weeks ago and need to change the oil for the first time. I have always been a Pennzoil man in my previous Gas engines. I see that Pennzoil has a 15/40W Heavy Duty oil with the required CI-4 rating. Any comments, good or bad, about this brand of oil?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Good oil for conventional dino ... Use with confidence ... Little on the stinky side for the positive open crankcase venting the Duramax has ,,,,You find out I'm sure,the smell of HOT oil ...

I ran it in my Max thru the break in up to 5k when I switched to Mobil Delvac synthetic ...

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
23 Posts
I will second what Mackin said about the smell. My dealer used this oil for my first change (it was free), and you can definately detect an odor coming into the cab. No complaints about the performance, but I will be switching with my next oil change.

Tim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mac and Tim, Thanks for the speedy responces. Sounds like I might not like the Pennzoil. What's a good choice of non syntethic oil? Something that I can get here on the East Coast.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I changed mine to Delvac 1300, and I have not noticed a smell. Another good oil is Chevron Delo 400. Pennz is darn good oil, no doubt. You can get a good deal on those 3 at Wally World. Amsoil has a blended sythetic 15W40 that is API approved, as does Shaeffers. Edited by: Pick

·
Registered
89 Posts
Shell Rotella T 15W-40. It is available at Sam's Club for a reasonable price. I think I paid $36 for a case of 6 1 gallon jugs. Many say that Shell Rotella T is the best dino heavy duty oil around. We have used it in our big Cummins, etc. on the farm in Minnesota ever since I remember.

Curtis

·
Registered
157 Posts
I used delvac 1300 for the first 2 changes before switching to delvac synthetic. No smell with either one.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have Penzoil in my GMC and don't notice any smell. Have a enough CITGO 15-40 on hane to use in the next change and after that I may go to VALVOLINE Blue if I can find it.I wouldn't go to synthtic until the engine is well broken in, about 15k to 20 k. Would rather change every 5K and use clonventional 15-40 oil than throw that syntheyic out at 10k.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yesterday, I purchased a 5 gal pail of 15W-40 Shell Rotella T at Advanced Auto Parts for $30.00. After changing the oil/filter I then drove 75 miles noticing only a slight oil smell for the first 20 miles.

For the same cost, I will check out Sam's next time, as handling 1 gal jugs I'm sure is easier than a 5 gal pail and a coffee can.

I appreciated the tip I read on this forum to jack up the front of the truck while draining the oil. Not only does this allow for more oil to drain out of the pan, it also keeps the last drizzles from leaking too far forward on the skid plate. The Fumoto drain plug I installed before filling the case should elliminate most of the mess next time I cahnge the oil.

10 qts to fill.Edited by: the ponz

·
Registered
540 Posts
the ponz said:
Yesterday, I purchased a 5 gal pail of 15W-40 Shell Rotella T at Advanced Auto Parts for $30.00. After changing the oil/filter I then drove 75 miles noticing only a slight oil smell for the first 20 miles.

For the same cost, I will check out Sam's next time, as handling 1 gal jugs I'm sure is easier than a 5 gal pail and a coffee can.

I usually buy the 6 gallon case of Rotella from Sam's Club. It's about 34 bucks which makes it even cheaper than your 5 gallon pail. I don't like having open oil around so I buy 2 quarts at Autozone for doing oil changes.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Larry, does the Rotella give you the smell that everyone is talking about. I have used Rotella on my last two strokers had had no problems. But the last thing I want is to smell oil in the cab of our new GMC truck

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've never noticed any smell with the Rotella T. I think some of the smell comes from "spillage". No spillage no smell???

I've been happy with the oil and am just sending in a sample for testing. I have 24k on the truck and except for the original oil it has never had anything but Rotella. No smell, no oil useage.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Are you guys sure that nasty smell isn't just a Dodge or Ford driving by? I run Delvac1 with a bypass and no problems so far
.Edited by: Blue Max

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Blue Max, what do you mean driving by. If anyone should be driving by it should be your DuraMax driving by them....Hammer Down!

·
Registered
626 Posts
You should only smell the oil from your own truck if you are stopped, and no you should never let anyone pass you on the road....Just hammer down.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Pick,

I have a question. What is the CAT filter...it looks like a Airbrake dryer/filter. Or is it a after market fuel filter?

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is an aftermarket fuel filter that is installed pre-OEM to your existing filter. You can go here and look at a kit that I am using. http://www.nicktane.com/

They filter down quite a bit better than the factory filter. If you do a search you will find a ton of information on this and there is also a dedicated forum in here which relates to the Nicktane install.

Curtis

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Do I understand that you only have to replace this (CAT)filter only and not the OEM. Because it traps all the contaminants...if true that would be great because the stock filter looks like a S.O.B. to replace.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts