Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a little gift to myself this holiday. Could not pass up the deal. Savage 22-250, using a Leo Rifleman 4-12 for the optics. For the price the Savage shoots straight up to 250. I'm not a huge Savage fan but its killed 3 since this morning so I guess its good enough.:D

A little scenery from this moring up on the pass.

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
Looks like a good compact yote killer :D. Need to get a 22-250 for myself soon.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
You might try different ammo. It should be accurate well beyond 250.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah its sighted for 200, haven't had to pull on it farther yet.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
That's about as fast a bullet as you can get. Should be perfect for varmits. What would you want $ for a wolf hide?

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Nice rig there Heavy Chevy, both the gun and the truck. Both'll do the job just fine in my book, but I still prefer my Ruger Mini 14 for varmints........ usually catch yotes in packs, and a 30 rd clip is deadly when there is more than 8 or so of them.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's about as fast a bullet as you can get. Should be perfect for varmits. What would you want $ for a wolf hide?
Have one in the shed stretching right now.:D just shy of 7 feet and black as night, That ones for me. Been waiting for an all black for a lnog time. Sorry.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
nice gun. accutrigger?

only thing bad you can say about a Savage is they're ugly. and you'd be right.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice rig there Heavy Chevy, both the gun and the truck. Both'll do the job just fine in my book, but I still prefer my Ruger Mini 14 for varmints........ usually catch yotes in packs, and a 30 rd clip is deadly when there is more than 8 or so of them.

Yeah if I had the $$$ to buy a Ruger I would. Nice gun. In packs of 8?!!!! The local population just started to pair up for breeding in late Jan early Feb. Probably won't get a chance now.To bad up here in Liberal douche bag land the clip limit is 5 rounds. Just have to be better shots then you Yanks I guess.:D

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice gun. accutrigger?

only thing bad you can say about a Savage is they're ugly. and you'd be right.
yup you gotter. I think I might lighten it up a bit. set at 3lb or so. Just a touch heavy for me.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Have one in the shed stretching right now.:D just shy of 7 feet and black as night, That ones for me. Been waiting for an all black for a lnog time. Sorry.

I'd settle for a grey.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Yeah if I had the $$$ to buy a Ruger I would. Nice gun. In packs of 8?!!!! The local population just started to pair up for breeding in late Jan early Feb. Probably won't get a chance now.To bad up here in Liberal douche bag land the clip limit is 5 rounds. Just have to be better shots then you Yanks I guess.:D
We're over-ran with em here in Texas, specially east texas.........dayum things will come right up to within 30 yards of the house. I have actually seen much larger packs, but to see between 5-10 in a pack is norm. I have sat on a log at the creek and shot 3 in the course of a 10 minute period that come to water. SHot the first as it dipped it's muzzle, just as was getting up to go get it, spotted another coming to get a drink, dropped it with it's head right next to the other, waited and sure enough, here come another sniffing around, dropped it within 5 feet or so of first 2

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We're over-ran with em here in Texas, specially east texas.........dayum things will come right up to within 30 yards of the house. I have actually seen much larger packs, but to see between 5-10 in a pack is norm. I have sat on a log at the creek and shot 3 in the course of a 10 minute period that come to water. SHot the first as it dipped it's muzzle, just as was getting up to go get it, spotted another coming to get a drink, dropped it with it's head right next to the other, waited and sure enough, here come another sniffing around, dropped it within 5 feet or so of first 2

Hell Yeah. Do you guys skin em or just leave em? We skin em stretch em and sell em to the auction house up here. A good pelt is around 70 bucks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Nice setup. Glad to hear you are whacking some yotes. The population is growing here in PA. Im planning on going out tomorrow morning myself to see if I can find one. They are around. The SOB's.

Savage is a great gun. Not the prettiest thing. But you wont find a better shooter right out of the box.

How do you like the Leo Rifleman?

Ive been scoping my recent purchases with Nikon Prostaff's...they seem to be a nice scope for the $$$. Thought about the Rifleman but I couldnt get it in silver for on top of my Stainless Encore.

·
Registered
555 Posts
70 bucks for a yote skin....dang....we throw 'em away down here. :(

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Hell Yeah. Do you guys skin em or just leave em? We skin em stretch em and sell em to the auction house up here. A good pelt is around 70 bucks.
Dang man, lets find out if it's legal to ship em accross the border and I'll sell you all you want for say....................8-10 dollars a hide

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Pretty much how it is here. Sometimes when a rancher is having a bit of a hard time with them they'll pay us "********" $5 per set of ears we show killed off his place

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Great flat shooting caliber. I have never owned a savage rifle but they say for the money out of the box their hard to beat.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Heres a good sized dog from this morning. Nice coat on this one.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm gunna have to guess that they don't get the heavy coats down in TX either. That's gunna be a lot of it as well. I'm sure if you could get $70 for one that everyone would be doing it. Think they may only be worth around 25-40 in SD right now, which is good but think you have to know what your doing as far as skinning and streachin them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts