Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the best spot for this or not. Here are a couple of pics of when I replaced a VVT on an 05 LLY 3500 CC SRW. I decided to remove the cab for easiest R&R. And it was a piece of cake. Much easier than what SI says to do. Everything right there at my finger tips. Thought some of you may find this useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And More...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Looks good, how long did it take you to get the cab off?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I seriously would have thought it would be easier to drop the tranny the pull the cab:eek: :cool2:

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I don't know.... Removing the cab looks like a he!! of a lot of work to me.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
what about all the wiring and stuff that goes thru the firewall. I know first hand that replacing a turbo is not fun. I wrestled with one for almost 3 days. But I would still think it would be easier than pulling the cab. How long did it take to pull the cab? Once the cab was off, the turbo R&R must have been sooooo easy. But is it really worth it? Disconnecting wiring harnesses, steering etc...

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
That looks like alot more work to me, but I always appreciate another approach to a job.

From what I have found, the LLY can be done a bit easier in the truck with out pulling the trans as the downpipe comes off much nicer. The LB7 is an automatic pull the trans for me.

What dealer do you work for and where Dr G? If you dont want to say in public, just PM me, I see your from MI, thats why I ask.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I wish I did my turbo that fast!! :eek:

nice job!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I seriously would have thought it would be easier to drop the tranny the pull the cab:eek: :cool2:
I thought about that too...although the turbo is still right up against the firewall still. Pulling the trans makes it easier to get leverage on the exhaust inlet bolts on the back of the turbo...but that's about it as far as I could tell. It still looks like a PITA to get the turbo out of the valley with the cab on the frame...Just my personal thoughts

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what about all the wiring and stuff that goes thru the firewall. I know first hand that replacing a turbo is not fun. I wrestled with one for almost 3 days. But I would still think it would be easier than pulling the cab. How long did it take to pull the cab? Once the cab was off, the turbo R&R must have been sooooo easy. But is it really worth it? Disconnecting wiring harnesses, steering etc...
Yeah Ben, I defenitely thought about you when I was doing this job. As far as the harness, not bad at all. I just pulled everything out of the UBEC and left the entire harness in in the chassis. The firewall harness (or the main body harness) diconnects very easily from the UBEC. And the steering shaft is one 15mm bolt @ the intermediate shaft. I was actually surprised how easy it went. The only reason I thought of this was becasue I have replaced two engines in "T" trucks (1 Envoy and 1 Bravada) by pulling the entire body off the chassis. IMHO it makes life much easier...

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
hmmmmm I understand...I think I agree with you now! :)

I assume the UBEC is the main fuse box thing? :confused: I didnt know everything from the body disconnects from the chassis that easilly...

Good info to know tho. Doing big work on the engine seems like itd be CAKE with the body off.

Ben

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I've heard the ford guys here do that all the time. They got lots of practice at it when changing 6.0s out... Looks like it would be pretty easy that way.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmmmmm I understand...I think I agree with you now! :)

I assume the UBEC is the main fuse box thing? :confused: I didnt know everything from the body disconnects from the chassis that easilly...

Good info to know tho. Doing big work on the engine seems like itd be CAKE with the body off.

Ben
UBEC - Underhood bused electrical center. ( The fuse block on the left side)

The most time consuming thing for me was trying to disconnect the parking brake @ the front with the rusted up coupling from the MI winters. That is when the good ole heat valve does wonders...right Eric?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've heard the ford guys here do that all the time. They got lots of practice at it when changing 6.0s out... Looks like it would be pretty easy that way.
I heard that too...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That looks like alot more work to me, but I always appreciate another approach to a job.

From what I have found, the LLY can be done a bit easier in the truck with out pulling the trans as the downpipe comes off much nicer. The LB7 is an automatic pull the trans for me.

What dealer do you work for and where Dr G? If you dont want to say in public, just PM me, I see your from MI, thats why I ask.
Eric, you have a PM.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
at least you dont have to deal with throttle linkage!!! ):h

1 - 19 of 19 Posts