Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, maybe I'm missing something here since this is my first 4x4, but GM says I should be able to shift into 4HI while moving. Tried for two days now, it's real cold here so today I went out and drove for awhile to get everything all warmed up, still can't do it. 4x4 shifter is a manual on the floor shift. Shifts real smooth and easy while stopped, won't budge while moving (haven't tried hitting it with a hammer, yet). I tried while slowing down, speeding up, and going the same speed. Won't budge. Ideas?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have had 4X4's that required a good yank to shift into 4 hi, but yours sounds a bit extreme. I'd take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.

You might try a strong yank first to see if yours is just a bit stiff, but if it won't do it at all, you know what to do.

Steve

·
Registered
391 Posts
Try letting the gas(DIESEL) off alittle and give a stiff yankbackwards toward seat, my new truck loosened up after a few times

IT'S JUST LIKE SHIFTING AN 1981 GMC GENERAL W/13spd!!Edited by: mpl897

·
Registered
747 Posts
It should be easier to shift while maintaining speed than when decelerating. When decelerating the gears are under more pressure as they are under the strain of engine braking.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You ever powershift a manual tranny? Same idea here. Let up on the gas trying to match the speed of the load on the drivetrain transmitted from your tires (momentum), with the speed of the engine. You don't want to necessarily decelerate, just lighten the load on the gears in the t-case.

Best way to figure out how this feels is to apply pressure to the t-case shifter in the direction of the shift, then slowly start pulling your foot out of the gas. Listen to her, and she'll tell you when it's time. :) Give it a stiff yank and it should go.

Or just stop to put it in 4wd. If you ever need it, you won't be going all that fast anyway.

Also, since you said this is your first 4x4, I feel that I must add - do not drive around on the street in 4wd! That's not what it's designed for. Not even in the rain. Only slippery surfaces, like snow, dirt, etc. If you do this, you run the risk of damaging your transfer case. A little bit here and there to get things moving is ok, but not much...Edited by: Mjollnir

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. I tried as hard as I felt I should, didn't want to break anything. I'll try a little harder.

Mjollnir said:
Also, since you said this is your first 4x4, I feel that I must add - do not drive around on the street in 4wd! That's not what it's designed for. Not even in the rain. Only slippery surfaces, like snow, dirt, etc. If you do this, you run the risk of damaging your transfer case. A little bit here and there to get things moving is ok, but not much...

Thanks, I knew this from doing some reading beforehand. That's why I waited till now, there is some snow on the roads. Thanks again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Aren't some of the guys running their 1/4 mile runs in 4 wd?

click on photo

·
Registered
157 Posts
Zip from Tenn said:
Aren't some of the guys running their 1/4 mile runs in 4 wd?
Sure they do, and they know that it can potentially cause problems, I'm sure. However, I think a full throttle application would cause enough tire slip to reduce the chance of gear bind grenading the case. Also, 1/4 mile isn't that long. As long as the tires are well matched, it's probably not long enough to cause problems. Plus no turns, etc.

There are a lot of factors, what I was saying was that you should not just drive around in 4wd as a matter of habit. I will drive in 4wd on pavement for 1/2 mile here and there just to get everything turning and lubricated, to get the CAD working so it doesn't gum up, etc.

A little bit certainly won't kill it, it's just not something you should do all the time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have had a problem shifting to 4 wd for the last week or so.Went out today and took my plow and 900 lb counter weight off shifts smooth as ever.You by some chance don't have a lot of weight on the back of your truck by some chance?On my truck it must change driveshaft angle or put pressure on something but it sure made a differance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts