Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picking up my 04 cc lt dura. 2wd what mods do you recommend. can i put it on now or wait for a few thousands miles. will tow a rockcrawler around 7000lbs on trailer once a month. i want this truck to sh*t and get. so let it ripe. what air setup/exhaust/programmers/modules/tanny upgrades/exhaust manifold. [kennedy's] thank you all in advance steve

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Sounds like you have been bitten by the bug... Best advice? Look at what you want to do with your truck and look at what other people that do similer things have done.. Lots and lots of opinions on what is needed, how much this and all that..

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Get a good 4" exhaust system, an air filter, or a whole air intake, the get gauges or a box that is set up with gauges. You might be happy with just a around 100hp and not need a tranny upgrade, nah you'll want more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i will need more. what's the best air/exhaust, any dyno results. will have gauges.keep um rollin in. thanks steve

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have and AFE Stage 2 intake, its a nice setup, you can hear the turbo whistle a lot more, sounds good. If you get this setup I would get the pre filter also. Check out ebay should be some on there. For exhaust there are a lot of different options, I have a Jardine 4" and am not real happy with their customer service and support, or lack of! The product end of it is fine though. A lot of guys of here like Kennedy's Exhaust, Banks, and ATS if you want duals. Some other that come to mind are Hog, Diamond, Quadzilla, BD, and many more.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Have you even pulled with hit yet? We compete in UROC and have two Duramax's we pull with across the mountings from Denver quite often and have never had anyone be able to keep up with us. One of them is a crew cab flat bet 2wd all stock. Mine is a reg. 4wd that only has guages and an exhaust. On the flat ground my buddies with Dodges can keep up and sometimes out accelerate me but, once we hit the mountains, I leave them in the dust. How fast are you looking to run, I can climb Vail pass at 75mph in either truck. It is really funny crusing by cars that are laboring up that pass and they realize that you just blew by them towing a buggy on a trailer.
Edited by: camp

·
Registered
25 Posts
picking up my truck on monday. until monday have a superduty power stroke modded whole exhaust,chipped,stacked,intake. runs great. just wanted the duramax to run as good /better. stock/ modified cummins/duramax are not even in same ballpark that my friends have. can cruise 100mph with trailer up hills. this is the first ford ive owned with no problems except tranny/torque converter slip. the reason i got the 2wd is i'm in the motorcycle bussiness and load bikes and quads in bed on a daily basis. thanks steve

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Mike L. said:
Time for me to do a little pimping here.
Consider the TTS exhaust. 42" muffler, sounds great and no drone.

mike
Mike, that perked my ears up, no drone? Hmmm, gotta check in to that one.... Hello, Is Steve in?

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Eric

I got to know the TTS exhaust system very well on the Transgo truck. Very quiet(not ***** quiet) and sounded great at WOT (wide open throttle). Steve stops by my house at least 3 times a week with a customers truck that has been prepped and i love the sound of his exhaust. Mine will be forth coming soon. (my truck is always last to get a mod). I have 2 customers that will be replacing their aftermarket exhaust systems for the TTS system. Remember this 42" muffler has no drone.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Mike, thats exactly what I am looking for... I want to upgrade exhaust, but i dont want that iratating drone that most systems are plagued with. I cant wait to sell TTS products!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just a suggestion. Get a good 4" exhaust system first. It think this may give you the most noticable improvement and it stages you for other mods. I just put an exhaust on and I noticed quicker acceleration. From what the posts are saying the exhaust will also lower your EGT. This is good if you tow over hilly areas.

Since you tow regularly and it sounds like you also are going to do a lot of mods, an EGT and boost guage may be the next items you want. I added this because they measure two key areas you want to keep an eye on as you make changes and are towing.

Check out some of the sponsor vendor sites they have some good ideas, tips and products.

Then depending on your budget
, go from there. $$$$$$$
Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
25 Posts
ok, thanks for the info. i have around 3000. to play with right now. tts tranny upgrades,afe2,edge/attitude/exhaust. missing anything??? also pretty handy with wrench/ even have a lift in garage but am busy. anybody know of a good tranny garage around pittsburgh pa or surrounding areas. thanks in advance steve

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just as you do the mods watch the Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) It's easy to go over, especially if you "Juice" before you do your exhaust.

From doing research on the web:

Recommended max EGT is 1275 degrees. This is with the sensor pre-turbo.

GM is recommending a max boost of 22 pounds.

I havn't bought guages yet, so I can't tell you what I am reading.Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Save your money for injectors!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts