Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking off at a stop light today which a semi was beside me and i noticed a lot of smoke beside my truck which i thought it was the semi but realized that it was me doing the smoking.It wasn't real black/mixed white and black.I was going pretty slow(not into it) and it quit and hasn't done it again(so far).It was really smoking pretty bad.ANYBODY?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well how long was the truck running? Were you hauling anything? Any irregular noises, start ups, slow performance? How many miles?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Truck has 1,200 miles.Power was normal,no noise's,no signs of any problems.I had the truck running for 15 min while I was hand drying it after a car wash and realized it was going to take longer so i shut it off for about 15 min and had went about two blocks when i noticed the smoke.My wife followed me yesterday to the rhino dealer and she said it smoked then but didn't tell me untill i told her about it smoking today.She said yesterday it looked to be a gray color smoke.Have not haul anything with the truck yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just read a post by BEEFY talking about gray smoke after a long idle.
Maybe that's what's going on with mine.I'll pay more attention to it and play it by ear.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mine will smoke just like you described- gray/black, etc. Seems to only do it if left idiling for a while +5min, and while driving lightly before its fully warmed up. Almost seems like the exhaust "loads up" at certain temps and speeds. I first noticed it at a light as well, the wind was at my back and I thought the pos beside me was smoking. Low and behold it was my brand new truck!
It doesn't do it all of the time, dealer gives me the usual 'its normal, they all do it at one time or another' routine, so I'm not worried.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Mine did it worse new, not as bad now, but still some, a lot more than my 2 LB7s ever did

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies.I'm sure that's whats going on.I know at times there is a lot of fumes which probably goes along with the smoke.THANKS,BILL

·
Registered
23 Posts
New truck smoking?

I have 3800 miles on my LBZ and I have had 3 or 4 smoking episodes. It seems to happen when accelerating. I can tell it is going to blow smoke because the engine will start to knock at the same time.
I took it to the dealer when it first happened and the diesel tech gave me some fuel additive to try out. Since then I have seen a TSB on it (NHTSA Bulletin Number: 3491). It is described as "Highway speed excessive smoke and fuel knock." Unforunately I don't know what is going to be done about it. A friend who is a GM mechanic told me it is likely due to the new fuel delivery of the LBZ. The higher pressure injectors are very sensitive. Any contamination of the fuel will cause poor
combustion thus the smoke. I was told GM may come out with a fuel filter to help with this issue.

·
Registered
722 Posts
ok i made it to vegas olny having 1600 miles on my LLY on route i notice my truck is blowing exsassave black smoke out the pipe when cruzing eaxcatly 70 mph with light throttle and when i massh down on the throttle nothing but black haze behind me keep going 50 miles or so and have to fuel up so i fill er up and jump back on the freeway now having the raido off notice a knock like a injector missing agine at 70 mph along with the exssave smoke so i see a dealership i pull in and of course thay cant look at it today being 4:00 so thay tell me jsut keep going so i git back on the freeway and git up to 70 and theres nothing! running as if nothing was wrong so 120 + miles later same thing injector nock and exsassave smoke . so i pull off a offramp to cycle throu the gears and jump pack on cleared it up till i git in to vegas then it started to knock ever so lightley.....
so i see there is a bulloton out for these excat coditions has there been a deceided fix that i can go to the dealer and say do it so i can git back home reliable tomarow afternoon???????
any help or info would be appresaited
sorry for the typos it late and im on a laptop haha

·
Registered
722 Posts
well got my truck back thay looked at that Highway speed excessive smoke and fuel knock Bulletin and came back with a ECM update and some additve and no more smoke or knock so far

·
Registered
798 Posts
theres a problem here in jersey with the fuel being "bad" causing smoke problems in the diesels, seems theres alot of water in the fuel even in the regular gas cars.some guys have done volitility tests and I Have heard of one case where they said it was like trying to burn water. I dont have first hand experience with the volitility tests but on occation I Have had an excessive amount of smoke from mine ( 2 or 3 times) usually after a long idle or light driving while not fully warmed up, thats about it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts