Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much should I ask them to take off the new truck I'm gonna get cause they used it for a plow truck for 700 hundred miles around the lot! I called and they faxed me the invoice and it looked good so I went to check it out and the sales manager said "o ya, it has a plow on it!" Ok, thanks for the heads up! But I'm wondering how much should deduct for them using it as a work truck!? Edited by: TheMNkid

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I would look for another truck. Not that I wouldn't plow with a new truck but some lot monkey may have been beating the crap out of it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
700 miles around the Lot!!! Thats a (Lot) of plowing miles with not the proper breakin? I would ask for $2000 minimum off the price, and to extend all the warranty to 100,000 miles just to make sure your tranny is covered.This price I am talking about should be below the Supplier Invoice pricing, REQUEST a copy of it! Also make sure the rear differential fluid gets changed as part of the deal. I would also want them to change the tranny filter and Fluid even though scheduled maintenance is due at 5,000 miles, but plowing is a lot harder on a tranny and who knows how it was treated. Also get them to change the oil. This is what it would take to make me buy this truck, otherwise I would just wait for a new one with "0" miles.

Mines on the way to the dealer by train since 02/12/04 and I can't wait for it to be here.

Just my .02 Fran

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
TheMNkid said:
How much should I ask them to take off the new truck I'm gonna get cause they used it for a plow truck for 700 hundred miles around the lot! I called and they faxed me the invoice and it looked good so I went to check it out and the sales manager said "o ya, it has a plow on it!" Ok, thanks for the heads up! But I'm wondering how much should duduct for them using it as a work truck!?

I wouldn't buy it.....

I take it you want a new truck? There's no telling how it was treated while being used for that. I'd say the odds are that it was treated badly.

If you should choose to negotiate on it, it's really not worth more than a used truck with that mileage on it. If you'd like to know how much that might be, call several dealers and tell them you've just purchased a new truck but must get rid of it due to unexpected circumstances. See how much they'll give you, I'll bet you'll be shocked.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I wish I had the option to not get this one but I need to get zero percent financing so I need to get it before 3/31/04 and I'v had them search other lots and I can't find one a like. I also need to get an LB7 to get the biggest discount, because I'm working through the store manager and he said that I can't get as good as discount on the LLY!

·
Registered
845 Posts
They should sell it as a used truck with 700 miles. Technically they can sell it as new, as long as it was never registered, or tested for emmissions, But thats just my states laws, it might be different in your neck of the woods.

One time my parents were going to buy a Minivan with 1,000 miles on it. Demo said the dealers. When we realized it was a registered vehicle, And the dealers were going to sell us it as new but with some "demo" miles....They were crapping their pants. If we pushed we could have gotten it for almost half the cost new

What is the sticker on the truck, and what kind of plow is on it? Do the math, Id rather a new truck I drove off the lot, and had a plow put on, on my own accord and take it from their.

Ive seen salesman plow snow.
Its not just for plowing the lot. They all take it home to plow their own driveways. Seriously Ive seen it right after a snow storm....salesman will be jumping over themselves to grab that truck, rather than shovel.

700 is alot Id buy it if the price was 7K under sticker not even including the price of the plow.

Bill

·
Registered
60 Posts
You will have to decide what kind of discount the mileage warrants. One thing I'd do is check the hours on the engine. We don't plow much snow down here, but I'd guess the truck may have spent a lot of time idling as well as plowing snow.

I saw a company Hummer recently at a GM Factory Sale with only 200 miles on the odometer. The tires looked chewed like they had been abused on rocks. Checked the hours and it had over 60 hours to go 200 miles. Turns out the thing had been off-roaded and the frame was bent. So, I'd put the truck on a rack and inspect the undercarriage as well as go over the entire vehicle with a fine-toothed comb.

Later. ...LD

Edited by: dmaxer

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Search another dealer. My local dealer has plenty of D-Maxes on the lot. All LB7's. If the saleman feels he has you then he will not deal and give it to you dry.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I guess I'm the exception, but I picked an LB7 over the LLY a couple of weeks ago when I bought my 04. Partially due to the equipment and partially due to the fact that I can't stand the thought of driving any DMax that isn't chipped.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well a couple of months or so and the "isn't chipped" problem will go away according to Edge....

Then, if I were you, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the dyno numbers they'll put out if Diesel Tech's stock truck is any indication....

Only 900 miles on it and it put down some good numbers for stock.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4600&KW=diesel+tech

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't think I would rush into purchasing this truck.

You can almost be assured that the financing will be continued as the 05 models will be comming out in July? I think. When I ordered mine ( 12 /31/03 the same date the incentives ended) I was worried that it would end and my sale manager told me don't be concerned that there has been some very heavy incentives for the last 3 years and he didn't see it changing any time soon. The incentives are the same exact ones as they previosly had.

If you really feel the need to purchase this truck, go to edmunds.com and get TMV( true market vehicle pricing (Used) ) for that truck. Then tell the dealer that all fluids and filters must be changed, extend the 100,000 mile warranty to cover the entire truck no exceptions, and an additional $2,000 to $4,000 dollars off the price depending what you are comfortable with. Don't let the dealer drive the pricing as they will given the chance. Just walk away, they will call you back. If not no great loss.

I would also do what dmaxer has said about the hours on the truck. This can be found in the DIC or if it doesn't have the DIC you can get it by cycling through the trip odometer rest button on the upper right hand side of the instrument cluster. If you divide the hours into the miles you will get an average speed for the vehicle. This inturn will give you an average MPH for the vehicle. This may give you a better idea on how much plowing has been done with this truck. The plow needs to be thrown in on this deal or the deal is off, unless your not interested in it at all in which case thats how you determine the dollar amout to offer them below book value. Don't let them tell you it's a new truck, you need to tell them that it's a used truck in your eyes and they can sell it to someone else.They have been paying GM for having this truck on their lot so it appears they really want to get rid of it. There will always be other trucks out there so don't get dragged into a deal that is not a GOOD deal. Buy a new truck first!!!!!!!! Not to scare you just my advice.

My .02 Fran

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Opinion:

A lot of dealers are selling for invoice or slightly over. On a $49,133 MSRP Duramax (LLY) the Invoice was $42,989.

If someone beat the tar outta it for 700mi, I'd expect them to drop another $2000 off it. So, I would not go much more than $1500 UNDER invoice.

·
Registered
395 Posts
What dealer are you working with? Both the Chev & GMC dealers in Forest Lake have LB7's on the lot (and their not all LT's). I can't believe they can't find what you want at another dealer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Luther Brookdale, I want an SLT extended, no camper mirrors! The truck is gone in two years so I'm not as worried about a 100,000 warrenty so I'm thinkin if they can get all of the fluids done and - 2,000 I'de be sittin ducky!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sounds like you've had your mind made up before you even posted the question.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
MN Kid

Who are you working with at Brookdale. I have bought trucks at Brookdale and also Thomas. I'd be happy to chat about my experiences. PM me if you're interested in my thoughts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Some of the demands listed here are ridiculous and the dealer isn't going to give away all his profit to move this truck. I agree that if you can get an extra $2k off, it's a good deal. Two years from now when you trade or sell, you'll be a lot better off than if you had a truck with 700 fewer miles.

The rebate for your region is $2750 or 0% + $250. If you only keep your vehicles 2 years or less you are better off to take the money up front. The 0% only benefits folks that finance the whole banana for long terms.

Interest rates have never been lower and if you can do a home equity loan, your rate will be around 3% and is tax deductible.

Manufacturer's incentives have been going on long enough that they are factored in the price, so make sure you don't get shorted.

I write a check and take the money up front since I tend to trade often.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts