Diesel Place banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Announcement should be soon seeing as Ford had already released numbers for 2017.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So my order which was ordered July 6th is now at production code 3100 with a target production week of 8/15/16. Will be interesting to see which truck shows up first.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Order from 7/20 is now at 3100 as well with a production week of 8/15 too.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Well, my visit to the Flint Plant was AMAZING. I was there for more than 3 hours, saw almost every aspect of the assembly line, sat in and started my own brand new truck just off the line, and met some very interesting people.

The folks working on the line were great, with many of them waving and saying Hi. Some even called out "Thank you for buying one of our trucks". and I was invited right on to the line at several points so that I could see the assembly process up close.

Now I have to wait about 3 weeks for the truck to arrive at the dealership.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just curious but do they run the truck through a high pressure water bath after assembly is complete? I saw a show on Corvette builds and at the end, they ran it through a chamber with high pressure nozzles and checked for leaks. May have only been done on vettes since a lot of them are convertible.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Great question peckwh, and I do have the answer because it was discussed while I was at the Plant.

No, they do not run the trucks through a water bath at the end of the line. The integrity of the cab sealing is checked at the PAINT shop.

Cab sealing is done by robots as one of the steps in the painting process. It is interesting to watch how accurate they are, and how evenly they apply the sealant to the joints.

There is a quality control process on the paint line to check for defects in the paint and sealing, but at the end of the paint line there is an extra, randomly selected, quality check. Some of those randomly checked trucks go through a special test where the cab is pressured with air and is checked for leaks. That's the equivalent of the water bath leak test.

So, bottom line, there isn't a water bath leak test on every truck, but there are quality checks to ensure that the robots applying the sealant have done their job properly, including random pressure testing of the cab..

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I should have mentioned in the last post that the water nozzle/water bath testing is done during testing of new models, so any design problems have been located and fixed before the truck goes in to production.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thanks Ted sounds great.

Also, both ordered are 3300 today. Both still scheduled for TPW of August 15th.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Three Pictures from my Tour

So here are three pictures taken during my view/build tour last week.

In the first one I'm sitting in the truck, engine running, near the end of the assembly line in an area they call "Fifth Avenue".

Second picture shows how close I was allowed to get to the action on some parts of the line. All of the UAW members I met on the line were friendly and many thanked me for buying a truck.

Last picture was taken as a diesel engine was coming in for a landing on the frame. I wasn't permitted to get to close to that activity. When the engine is almost down on the mounts, two guys pulled the exhaust system and the spline of the driveshaft in to place and then the engine just dropped down on to the mounts. I was amazed how quickly it happened.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
If you're an extremist like me, who likes to track your new truck on the rail car all the way from the Plant to the unloading point for the dealership, send me a PM and I'll share information on how to do the tracking. You'll need your dealership to give you the rail car number, which usually starts with something like TTGX. The dealer will be able to access the car number as soon as the truck is shipped.

Just tracked my truck - it was shipped on July 30th and just arrived at Bensenville, Illinois, a little east of Chicago

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Truck is at 3400. TPW is still August 15. Doesn't 3400 mean they're starting the build now?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Yes, now they have begun to dig for the ore to refine into the iron and steel to be used for your truck... :clap:

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Hey - it's VERY exciting when you're the one waiting for a factory order. A serious business.
Yes, all part of the buying experience. I've heard studies before that said that we often get more joy from the anticipation of an item than from the actual item itself. I can see that. Enjoy - be it now and / or after. :thumb:

I know I miss that new car smell.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Can't wait until it arrives so I can stop chatting with GMC every day lol

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
41 - 60 of 87 Posts