Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just bought an 07 Crew 4x4 with the Dura/Ally. My question is this, a friend of mine has a '77 3/4 with a nice set of Eagle 16.5 x 8 shod with 33x12.5 BFG's. Will those wheels work on my truck with a little crank of the bars??

Dave

·
Registered
199 Posts
tires will be tight but should work, width might be an issue. a 33 in a sense is a 285 which is 32.9" tall. give it a try see what happens.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I would take a pass on the 16.5's. Most OEM's stopped using them in the late 80's and tires are increasingly getting harder to find. They also don't have the safety bead that the other 16's and 17's and up have. If you let the tire get to low the tire will pop off the bead very easy, try that pulling a loaded 4 horse trailer on a two lane dirt road, not pretty. The newer style 16's will hold the bead longer with lower PSI, and will be supported by the major tire manufacturers longer. You can find a good set of 285/75R16's (32's) for $800.00 or so, that would be my suggestion

·
Registered
33 Posts
True....16.5 limits your choices. BUT if the deal is too good to pass up, the'll fit with a little trimming to the air dam and fender liners. I would suggest a torsion key leveling kit w/shocks over just cranking the torsions. cranking them works but you have little to no adjustment to compensate for sag later on.

do you know what the back spacing of the rim is?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, I don't know what the backspacing on them is right now. I think were just going to have a couple of beverages and swap the two fronts just to check it out. Maybe when it gets a bit warmer out.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
I personally would not run a 16.5 wheel again. I did that some time ago and it terribly limited the tires I could run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.