Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Im new hear but My father just purchased a 2008 Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6 Duramax Turbo Diesel truck and I have a few questions because I want to get him a few parts.

I've been reading the forums for the past few hours because I am new to diesel trucks and trying to learn about the mechanics. I have a 400+ rwhp mustang with all the boltons and some nitrous, so this isn't my specialty.

I want to get a tuner, intake, and get rid of the exhaust filter.

First the tuner. I need a tuner that can easily change between programs, and something that is easily updated or can be changed. Ide like something that comes with pre programs, or has a place to download programs for the truck. I would need a towing tune, a max hp and tq tune, and a good fuel efficient tune. What would be the best tuner for my situation? I would also like to increase the boost. Would a tuner do that or do I need a boost controller, or is there a wastegate to control the boost? Does anybody know the stock boost, and what a good save increase would be. The truck just doesn't seem fast right now. It also only shifts at 3000 rpms in drive, and 3500 in manual. Can the rev limiter and shift points be moved a little higher? It still seems like the truck has some power up top while in boost.

I would also like to get an intake, but after some reading I see that the K&N filters cause a check engine light. What is a good filter that would get me the most gains?

And finally, The DFP. I read up on this and it seems this filter reduces my gas mileage by a lot, and restricts the flow of exhaust gases? Is there a write up on how to remove this safely without causing any other trouble or check engine lights. Or is there anybody in the South Florida that works on trucks that could do this?

Basically, I was to get some more power and gas mileage out of the truck with a simple filter, handheld tuner, and removing the dfp. Is this possible?

Thanks for all your help,
Chris

·
Registered
184 Posts
Changing your intake is asking for problems on these. Stock is more than fine and actually filters the best. You will be throwing codes left and right if you change the intake.

Exhaust filter...AKA...the DPF. As of now you have ONLY 2 options. Removing the DPF and running EFI Live or the PPE Stealth tuner. Any other tuner at this time will throw codes.

Anyone...feel free to correct me if am wrong on this.....Happy Holidays!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Actually, the new Quad Stealth2 will handle the DPF codes as well AND its the least expensive of the options listed. It will do everything the OP requested with the exception of boost "control?" and rev unlimiting. The Stealth2 will remove speed limiter, however.

·
Banned
4,035 Posts
Theres efi live, hp tunner ,quadzilla , and ppe at this point for dpf removal as far as boost any thing really over 32 psi is not efficiant any more but the tuners will have there own bosst levels set with there tunes . no boost fooloers ar any thing needed to increase boost. very important and this should really be your first mod is get guages . the rpm range for stock and really even aftermarket you are making peak hp around 2800 -3000 rpm it can be increased however if so desired with efi or hp tuners and i thnk the ppe has a raised limiter as well i dont know about the quad

·
Glamis Kodiak
7,490 Posts
try going to ppediesel.com and read latest article on lmm tuning, on home page I think .

Good stuff.... dpf delete, rev limit, all the things needed to have a very safe and reliable street truck. And gauges should be a first thing EGT , PSI , gauges a minimum.

PPE also has a very cool rail pressure gauge , that no one else has that I know of.

gasuout

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I won't be getting an intake. If I decide to get EFI Live or PPE would that cause any problems with my warranty? Would doing the DPF delete also cause any problems? I know the law says it would have to directly relate to the problem...

As for the gauges. Is a pyrometer something that is important to have? Can the temperatures actually get too hot?

For the boost psi. fire0021 said 32 lbs would be around the max. Is stock boost around 20-25? And would it be correct to say each extra pound would be around 10 rwhp?

I See that the tuners advertise the power gains as 260 HP and 470 tq extra.
But what realistic rwtq and rwhp gains should I expect with just a tuner. Will the fuel efficient tune be dangerous for the engine? I would expect it to lean it out a little.
I was reading the tuner specs and they say it may require a transmission upgrade for level 3 and 4 tunes. I have the Allison 6 speed. Would upgrades would need to be done to be able to handle the power? Would I have to get it rebuilt?

Thanks again,
Chris

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you are looking to remove the dpf...tbyrne did a great write up on it on how to remove it as a complete system so that it can be reinstalled in case you need waranty work

1 - 7 of 7 Posts