Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after just shy of ten weeks, the new "baby" was delivered today....

Unfortunately it's got a birth defect, that is freight damage caused by Union Pacific Railroad...........

Now I'm having an argument with the Service Manager about who's going to fix it. They farm their stuff out to another bowtie dealer who has a body shop. I want the local Dent Master guys to do it, I've seen their work. I asked the Service Manager if they'd been having problems with the rear differentials being low when the PDI is done. He said "not anything that's come in here", we (the Service Manager and I) are not getting off to a good start.

Right now, who fixes it has been passed by me to the General Manager who's supposed to call me back in ten minutes. That was an hour ago. You can bet your booty I'm going to be checking the rear differential fluid level when I get it too.... Buying a new vehicle was never this hard before, I've been spoiled.

I'll post some pics if I ever get the damn thing.....

·
Registered
570 Posts
Zeeb

I replied to the other thread, so all I will say is; Keep a cool head as hard as it might be. Hopefully it will all workout. You may need the service manager on your side someday in the future.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Zeeb

I am sorry to hear about your truck that stinks!!! When you do go pick it up take your sweet time going through it. I'm glad I did. I found some cosmetic damage on one of the wheel flares. I didn't want them to do it then but they did document it. I'm not that worried about it now. I would go through just about everything before leaving. Not that I wouldn't trust them.....but it doesn't sound like there is already a lot of love w/the Service Manager. It's no excuse but maybe he was/is having a very bad day.

You might want to talk to your salesman mine really suprised me when I had some questions regarding additional fuel filtering he was very involved
Let us know how it goes.

Mike

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
White is easy to fix. Trust me Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hoot said:
White is easy to fix. Trust me

Does this mean the "attack of the fifty foot tree" has been repaired?

It's over getting the running boards and mudflaps on it so we can drive it around if necessary. More snow on the way tonight. Just had a good talk with the GM at the dealership. We've agreed on a course of action and it seems the reason the Service Manager was short with me, was because his wife was waiting for him.... That and it's been two days now since I've had a smoke probably didn't help the first time interaction.I'm at least feeling a lot better about where things are heading right now.

Oh, it does look different under the hood..... And I talked to Edge just a bit ago....

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hey Zeeb, congrats on the new truck. Take a wrench and remove the differential fill plug right there at the dealer's. You can do it in no time, don't need to jack up the truck or anything else. Stick your pinky finger in (not too far or you'll get it stuck and that would really SUCK!) and feel for oil. If you're low, they can add that high class grape juice first thing. I'll bet it is low (but I hope I'm wrong.)

Enjoy,

Jim

·
Registered
288 Posts
Zeeb: rear will be low, told my pdi man to check it. he thought I was crazy but he did. 2 quarts low. He really did thank me and said he would watch them close from now on. Made me feel good.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not good after the long wait. Sounds like it will be fixed proper. Good deal. Congrats.

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
Mine had a birth defect too, leading edge of the drivers side box, paint was defective, like they painted over some oil or something. The body shop manager said my rust proctection warranty would be void after they fix it. I counldn't believe that one. I wasn't too worried about it though since the whole side of the box skin is made out of plastic. WOW..........Might ask em about the rust warranty though.

Good Luck.........

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IT'S HOME.......

There's been a few glitches yet to be straightened out, but the new baby fits in the garage just fine.

I've only driven it about 25 miles tonight, but I'm impressed. It's going to take awhile to figure out how all this stuff works.......

First trip to the Fire Station with it tomorrow, and there's supposed to be snow on the roads when I get off Saturday morning. If so, I'll get a chance to check out the locker and get some miles on the front differential.

Pics to follow even though I'm not sure there won't be something added to the sides in a moulding, or maybe the stainless wheel well strips. I don't know if they even make them for duallys, that's what happened to my stainless bed cap covers, no one makes them for the dually. There's a guy in SLC who supposedly makes each set and they are laser cut, maybe I can get him to build some.

Then there's the trip to Ogden sometime next week...... A "consultation" shall we call it about the LLY?

Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
353 Posts
CONGRATS!!!!

The truck looks real sweet and right at home!!!!

Now just drive and enjoy!!

Mike

·
Registered
162 Posts
Very nice. The Summit White is a great (lack of) color

Did you remove the side moulding or was it ordered that way?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Zeeb,

I really like your wheel's, where did you get or purchase. They look really sweet.

That is one shinny truck. My current color is salt. New GM color, Northern Salt.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SonnyBear said:
Very nice. The Summit White is a great (lack of) color

Did you remove the side moulding or was it ordered that way?

Thanks, I kind of like the color too.....

The 1 tons don't come with side mouldings, that's one of the issues yet to be resolved. I've got to get with one of the local shops that stocks moulding material so I can see what various styles might look like.

It'll probably get pinstripes too.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dmaxscott said:
Zeeb,

I really like your wheel's, where did you get or purchase. They look really sweet.

That is one shinny truck. My current color is salt. New GM color, Northern Salt.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the compliment.

They are not wheels, they are what is known as a "simulator" and made out of stainless steel. Kind of like a fancy hubcap. I run those since it allows you to rotate the tires without dis-mounting, mounting and re-balancing the all the tires each time it's done. Dooley's need the tires rotated about every 5 to 7 k miles or the wear is just unacceptable.

There are a number of manufacturers of simulators, and several different ways of attaching them to the wheel. Finding any real information on them was a pain. These are "Pacific Duallies" and are the "under the lug" mount system. I think that's the best way to mount them, and as you can see, they've got a real nice finish to them.

You should be able to buy them at local tire dealers, but you may have to search for them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
zeeb..really like your truck.I am going to get one..I take its the lly engine? how wide is your garage door as this is concern to me if I go up to a dully ..thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Karl,

My garage door is 16 feet wide and 8 feet high, it's a double and there's a Jeep Grand Cherokee sitting right next to the truck. I back each of them into the garage at an angle, then straighten out after it's in since my garage is 26'x30', there's quite a bit of room once in the door. If you've got single garage doors.... Well the Dooleys are just a hair under the 96 inch limit for vehicles on the public highways without additional markings.

So if you've got a 9 foot door, things will be tight.......

And yes, it's the LLY.Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Nice truck Zeeb,

Should have known you were an under-worked overpaid Lazyboy jockey. Hope your thumb survives super bowl sunday without a "remote sprain". Us guys on the other side will be hiding our units to catch the game!!!!!

(of course I am just kidding Zeeb)Edited by: BigdaddyG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice pictures of your truck and congratulations

I thought you mentioned going with Duraflaps and was interested to see how they looked. Imagine my surprise when I saw OEM instead. What changed your mind and what do you think of the OEM flaps?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeff,

Yes I've got the DuraFlaps....

Dennis still has the extra mount pieces needed to put them on the Dooley..... He forgot to send them. I couldn't run around with nothing on there, so I picked up a set of the OEM's until I can get the DuraFlaps on it.

On a side note to that, Dennis and I have talked about trying to come up with a slightly different mount for the Dooley's. He has a pretty good idea, but they are supposed to have a couple of screws put into the outer fender lip, which I did not want to do.

Dennis is out of the shop for a trip to the East Coast and pick up a new CNC machine, so I'll be getting with him probably next week to see what we can come up with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts