Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dually baby arrived yesterday late. Thanks Howard, you ROCK!!! I took a quick look during lunch today and boy is she beautiful. GMC, D/A, Dually, Carbon Metalic, dark pewter interior, SLT and about everything else. Still have her sweet aroma in my nose. Dealer is doing the PDI and detailing today, I will sign the adoption papers and drive it home tomorrow.

I made an initial deal with the sales manager for $500 over invoice and later found they accepted the "GM in the driveway" coupon so that worked out better than I thought. Thanks Dmax Tim, you ROCK too!!!

During my visit today, the sales associate mentioned they don't make any money on the GM in the driveway program. I mentioned thay at least make hold back and he was unsure. Can someone please confirm this? Also, I recall reading a post that mentioned hold back went from 3% to 5% in '04. Mentioned this to the sales associate and he insisted they only get 1.5%. Checked Edmunds and they show hold back at 3% so somethind isn't right.

In summary: 1)Does the dealer still get hold back under the in the driveway program? 2)What is the current hold back ammount? 3)Does hold back differ from dealer/region or is it the same for everyone?

Thanks, JeffEdited by: Wimpie

·
Registered
72 Posts
you pay 5% more than an employee. when i bought mine at employee price the salesman said he gets 100 and the dealer gets 500.I do know they are not doin nuttin for free

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't have the numbers, but I do know that the dealer gets a lot more than just the hold back. Dealers are compensated by GM whenever a company discount (COV, GMO, GMS, GM Supplier, GM in the Driveway Certificate, or loyality coupon) is given. I don't know if it is the same for dealer as selling a vehicle for full MSRP or not, but it is probably close. Suffice it to say that dealers in today's economy likely make *more* on certificate sales than regular sales.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The dealer ALWAYS gets his hold back, regardless of whatever discounts or programs are offered. He's trying to tell you a bunch of baloney.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, what's the current dealer hold back on these? Is it true it went to 5% for the '04 model year?

·
Registered
386 Posts
When I got mine in Nov., the salesman told me that they make the holdback, but also what happens is that they actually get credit from GM for another 1.5 trucks. They get a replacement from GM at cost of course, plus enough for another .5 of a truck in "credit" for their monthly alotment. Dealers love cretificates!

Bill

·
Registered
326 Posts
Wimpie said:
So, what's the current dealer hold back on these? Is it true it went to 5% for the '04 model year?
I've never heard of anyone giving more then 3%. 5% sounds kind of high, but who knows.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well things can get kind of fuzzy when talking about this stuff since there are so many definitions of "invoice".

It is true that GMS or GM Supplier price, increased by 1% recently. That figure is now slightly higher than the dealer's invoice, not including the 1.5% advertising hold back which most dealers are reluctant to give up.

So yes, you pay 5% more than a GM employee if you get GMS pricing. The certs are GMS pricing and also prohibit the documentation fees which can be several hundred dollars.

As to whether or not the dealers love them, that depends on what you want. If it's something popular, they aren't going to give you the price. If it's something you want to order and they have allocation for that, they'll probably take it. If it's a popular model or they are tight on allocation, you're not going to get as good a price.

Old law of supply and demand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts