Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok on Saturday I will be helping instal my new Suncoast stage V tranny. I ordered the new tranny cooler and the PML deep pan as well. Is there any break in tips I need to know when driving this new system? Unfortunatly I will only have the regular edge to throw at it that day, but they say I will be more impressed on level 5 than I was with the stocker. Any advice guys?

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Put it on Level 5 and drive around a little bit letting the trans get used to basically everything. After the shifts start to smooth out a bit hit it hard and let the smoke out of the tires:D . At least that's how Mike L. did mine.:ro) . Change the spin on at about 500 miles after so you can get rid of all the break in crap.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Last I heard, Joe was considering REQUIRING the Tech 2 Fast Learn initiation to ensure that things break in properly on his built transmissions.

I like to use a more moderate power level like level 3 or 4 Edge and make several successive runs through the gears followed but stopping and restarting. Sets of 3ea starting with 30% APP or so, then 50% then 70% then TH for the same. IF the transmission is "geting it" you can go to full throttle. again for sets of 3.

Watch the trans temp and let it cool if you cross 200°f.

After it is working decent, you can either up the power level OR better yet, just drive it day to day for a week or so on the same power levels. I find it hard to resist beating the snot out of it, but I think the transmission will thank you to wait a bit before getting really hard on it.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I broke in my ATS very mildly as I have stated here a little while back.I think resisting putting the boots to it is a good idea.You have spent a lot of money and there will be plenty of time for that latter.

Just my O

I haven't been able to do a fast learn with a 01,I would have liked too.As far as I know it isn't available,not that it matters for this guy owning a 04.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I want to break it in right. Man it will be hard to not give it heck, but I will listen to you guys I promise.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I went with the giver her hell approach after I reset the taps

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
phil I don't think that will suprise anyone here :D

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Reset the TAPs individually and then put it into fast learn after some easy driving to get it up to temp. Make sure cruise control is off. You will notice after TCM has been put into fast learn you will get some flairs ( slips ) and they will work themselves out in short order. You may have to go back in with Tech 2 and reclear TAPs that might have been missed ( happens often and you can clear only the ones in question). You are now ready to hammer it. I need to make sure my rebuild is ready to stand up to anything before I send my customer home.
mike

·
Registered
306 Posts
break-in

Reset the TAPs individually and then put it into fast learn after some easy driving to get it up to temp. Make sure cruise control is off. You will notice after TCM has been put into fast learn you will get some flairs ( slips ) and they will work themselves out in short order. You may have to go back in with Tech 2 and reclear TAPs that might have been missed ( happens often and you can clear only the ones in question). You are now ready to hammer it. I need to make sure my rebuild is ready to stand up to anything before I send my customer home.
mike
Ditto
What he said. The use of a Tech II and patience avoid some very stressful experiences.
smoop

·
Registered
306 Posts
break-in

I also want to add some KUDOS to Mike & Chris at Auto Wurks in New Jersey.
These guys dropped approx $3200.00 for a Tech II for their first Allison install because they wanted to do it right.
Smoop:)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I will have to go to the dealer next week to get them cleared. Oh they are goona love me.

·
Registered
410 Posts
mike
I'm gonna jump in here. I'm doing the same thing next week.:ro) Do I clear the taps first and drive it around. Or do I do the fast learn after I clear the Taps and then drive it?:help2: Thanks Joey

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I set her to fast leanr, got her warm and hammered the piss outa it. Its gota learn it eventually and it might as well learn what ever power its going to use when its in fast learn. JMO

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Joey
Drive it around easy first to get the Ally warm. I get a pretty good idea after this as to how long it will take to learn. Clear all the TAPs one by one including all garage TAPs. A garage shift is standing still while you change from R to O/D and back. Go to Fast Learn and go through the procedure, then do your 3 steady runs from stop to 4th. You will probably notice some very soft shifts after but they will change quickly. I then do a couple of medium throttle run ups to make sure the flairs have gone. Next is to do 3 to 5 WOT runs paying attension to all the upshifts and downshifts. I then drive the truck normaly to see how it responds and if there is an upshift or downshift I don't like, I go back in with a Tech 2 and reset that particular TAP. Most of the time the truck is good to go after these procedures.
mike

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks to both of you:ro) I was just wanting some basics on the set-up of the Tech 2 because the guy's out here at the Base told me they know how to use it ( ya neva no, the gov. can sometimes just buy thing's:D )I'll try your way Mike, 1st. But if I can't get it at least I know I can put that bi#!h on Fast Learn and go on with it. Man I can't wait Thanks:rocking:
Joey

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I also want to add some KUDOS to Mike & Chris at Auto Wurks in New Jersey.
These guys dropped approx $3200.00 for a Tech II for their first Allison install because they wanted to do it right.
Mike shoulda called me. I probably coulda saved him a couple hundred.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
What happens with DIY guys who don't have a TechII? Will the trans learn anyway?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
You can do it that way but everything is in slow learn and will take longer to adapt.Can cause a jerky ride for awhile.

Best to hook up with a Tech II and reset all Taps one by one ,that is what I have always done,I've mentioned it before.
No fast learn for us 01'ers

Where is you?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I am in N. Cal. and am still considering trans and install options. Some definately have a TechII others probably don't. Waiting to hear back from more than one installer on several issues/details/recomendations.

Getting very close to pulling the trigger once I get all my research/advice/costs/interviews completed. I am a total noob when it comes to these things so this is a lot to process. Appreciate the help.

BTW - I take it TAPS are memory locations for shift points, settings, etc? These get cleared by the TechII and then the adaptive Allison shifting SW in the TCM relearns how to shift with the newly upgraded trans? Is that about right? But....What exactly does TAP stand for?

·
Registered
306 Posts
fast learn

worst case: bind-up on 3-4, strips C2 hub on P1 splines. Rare occurance, but can ruin your day.

Target apply pressure

1 - 20 of 26 Posts