Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, my son just started working in the City Fleet Maintenance shop and is looking to start buying his own tools.

What is a good brand similar to Snap-On without the astronomical price tag?

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, and I'm well aware that most people think Snap-On is the greatest, but...

Thanks!
Eric

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi All, my son just started working in the City Fleet Maintenance shop and is looking to start buying his own tools.

What is a good brand similar to Snap-On without the astronomical price tag?

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, and I'm well aware that most people think Snap-On is the greatest, but...

Thanks!
Eric
I personally like some of the Milwaukee hand tools and love their power tools and their hand tools are reasonably priced. I think my buddy picked up the 3/8s socket set with ratchet and extensions for around 100$ maybe a little more

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,999 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

Harbor Freight has a new line of tools called Icon that are getting some good feedback.
Craftsmen are a good goto brand.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Depends on where you are.

I buy MasterCraft (both their "cheap" line and their "Maximum" line), and Dewalt, mostly from Canadian Tire when they are on sale (which happens regularly). Only problems I've had with them is one ratcheting open-end wrench fell apart almost immediately (replaced with a new one at their counter), and I've damaged some of the small bits from using too much pressure on them.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Everything I have heard over and over again is DO NOT rack up a bunch of debit buying tools 'off the truck'. People say that is way worse than student loans because the interest is worse.

They say if you can't afford a premium tool right away just get what you can afford. Once you are on the job for a while you will learn which tools are really important spend big money on and which brands are worth the money.

No one is saying that the truck tools are not good but say you buy a full set of combo wrenches which will likely cost you several hundred dollars. After 6 months on the job it turns out that you only ever use 4 out of the 16 wrenches and only one of those is ever tight and critical. You could buy that one critical one off the truck and then get a husky or craftsman set for under $100 to cover the rest.

The tools that are complete crap are no surprise and you usually have a clue based on the price. All the big stores premium lines seem to get pretty decent reviews these days. Also don't forget about used stuff. Garage sales are great and if you keep an eye on craigs list you can get some pretty good deals on some quality vintage stuff. May not be a pretty matched set but you can still get some quality.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great thoughts, Thanks All!!

I totally agree with buy what you need and can afford right now...My starter set is Craftsman, but I'm leery of the new stuff.
I HAVE been pretty happy with the Harbor Freight that I've been getting recently, seems they've REALLY upped their game without trying to soak us for every cent!!

Thanks again & Happy Holidays!!!
Eric

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Just a note: As some already know, it is worth noting that Craftsman is already making some tools (power hand tools, chests and others) in the USA and is currently building a new plant in the Texas (due to be completed in late 2020) to make hand tools! Their plan is to phase in more tools to made here in the USA over the coming years. (Craftsman is now owned by Stanley Black and Decker.) :flag:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Buy the best & cry once!

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,999 Posts
:muahaha:

Attachments

Reactions: Just Tool'n

·
Administrator Mister, your truck's smoking...
11,398 Posts
I rather like the Kobalt tools I've purchased recently at Lowes.

YMMV

·
Registered
282 Posts
I buy all my tools from auctions. Estate auction, especially farmers have tons of old nice USA made wrenches. I have bought entire sets for $5. I have so many old wrenches that I am using some in scrap metal sculptures. I hate retail prices. I bought a set of wrenches from 1” to 2-1/2 for about $50
But you have to wait... if you need it now. Then you have to pay retail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts