Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Don't beat me up too much, but Why should I buy a new Duramax. I'm the proud owner of a 2001 Ford F350 7.3L. It has been a good truck and is modded up pretty heavy. The time has come to possibly replaced the old girl(every 5 yrs.) and that's where you come in. I recently purchased a GMC Yukon for my wife and love it. At this point and time, Ford is switching from the 6.0L(junk)-:t to a unknown replacement. This has led me to ask for your help!!! I'm aware of the problems with Ford, but not GMC/Chevy. What are some of the pitfalls of the Duramax and its running gear. For instance:

-What are the most common engine performance upgrades
-How much HP/Torque will the factory trans take.
-What aftermarket trans are most people installing
-Any axle, driveline, brake problems and the list goes on.

I'm not on a witch hunt. I just want to know what are some of the problem everyone is having before purchasing.

PDM

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Welcome.

Most people just do a plug in box or programmer. Both of which will provide tremendous hp. Some of the programmers will nearly double your hp. Which then of course you will need a tranny.

It is arguable on how much the stock Allison can/will take, but the general rule of thumb is to keep it under a 100hp increase. Some however, like me, throw more at it and it takes it. I've been running 125 extra hp through mine for 2 years now w/o a glitch. It really depends on how much you beat on it IMO.

As far as upgrades the Suncoast III or IV is very popular and will pretty much take anything you throw at it. ATS is a popular one too and you will see comparable results with it.

The rest of the driveline is pretty stout. It is very rare to hear of problems w/ rears or other components. The only thing would be to get tierod sleeves if you mod the truck and are planning on doing any 4x4 launches w/ it. The stock tierods are pretty skinny.

Hope this helps. You definitely came to the right place to learn about the mighty Dmax!

Now go out and get one and see what you've been missing! :ro)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
:welcome: from Florida
Good to have you in the brother (and sister)hood. When you get your rig, create a signature showing your truck options and modifications so users can help you easier. Also, create a "Garage" and post some pics.

The main reason I can think of for YOU to buy a Duramax is that they don't make the 7.3L anymore.

Just my 2¢

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
From the staff:

Welcome to the Diesel Place.

I think you will find this site to have tons of information and knowledgeable people that will help you along the way. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions. Also, try the search feature as many have asked the questions that you need answers to. It will be your friend. Thanks for joining up, we are happy to have you and most of all, Enjoy..

You can use the USER CP to add your signature to your profile. Take some time and look over the USER CP section as it contains all the necessary sections to personalize your account.

Always remember we have many sections, so please read each section before posting to ensure you are placing your thread in the right location which will also ensure that you get the proper responses and that your thread will not have to be moved. This gets you answers quick and helps out the moderators here on the site.

Once again I would like to welcome you to the Diesel Place.

GMC2500HD
MOD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts