Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never owned a diesel or a chevy and have a few questions...

I'm buying an '02 2500HD Duramax/Allison w/37K tommorow and wondering if there are any particular things I should look at or ask. I know that he has towed a 4 horse trailer with it in the mountains. Should I be worried about that? It seems that this truck is a hauling machine, so it seems that an 8000 lb trailer shouldn't be a problem.

He says he has changed the oil every 5k, but that is about all he has done. Is there a lot of maintenance due on it? It seems from reading here that it is way overdue for a fuel filter change.

Only thing I noticed on inspection is a little moisture around the seal on the differential. Is this normal? Is it bad? Better yet, should I have a dealer do one of there well advertised 52,000 point inspections before I buy it, or is that a waste?

Sorry for the newbie questions. You all seem to know a fair amount about these trucks, and I could use the help. I want this truck to last me 250K+ which is why I am looking at the diesel. I would have gotten a manual, but I haven't been able to find any, so I am a little worried about the transmision. Most important things to me are fuel economy, longevity, and quietness (wife). With that in mind, these are my other questions...

-should I get a performance programmer? Preditor? Juice? what is the best for making the tranny last and increasing mileage? Will a programmer hurt the injectors?

-should I put synthetic oil in the first change? AMSOil? Mobil 1? Is a bypass filter kit worth the dough?

-Should I get a new air intake filter? Oiled foam? Magnum? Is it as important as the synthetic oil, or more so?

-Do I need a duel fuel filter system? It seems that the injectors are talked about a lot here. Will more filtration help?

-Whats the word on BioDiesel? Sounds like it quiets down the engine, makes fewer emmisions, and adds back in lubrication and cetane to the fuel. What's the down side? (other than cost) Is anybody on this forum using it?

Thanks in advance for the info. I really want to buy one of these trucks, and I think that this is the one. Any advice would help.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
If he never changed the fuel filter I would NOT buy the truck.

Have the dealer give it a real hard look if he did.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't know if I would go so far as to reject the truck because of a fuel filter with 37K on it?

I read about people here that have 40-50K on the factory filter and no run problems. Sure they are dirty and should have been changed a few thousand miles ago, but no reports of a performance difference after the 50K fuel filter change.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You guys crack me up......for crying out loud, you'd think the world has ended that a guy didn't change his fuel filter. Go buy the truck if you like it and don't get paranoid like some of us on this site. Change the tranny filter, air filter, fuel filter and run with it. If your really concerned ( and rightfully so) about blowing this kind of money and not knowing what your getting, get an oil analysis done, it will tell alot. Also, you still have the 100,000 warranty on the engine. Great truck, you'll love it.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
A friend of mine just bought a used 03 with 30,000 miles on it. The guy told him he changed the oil ever 5,000 miles. When he got it home he realised that the oil filter was original (even compared it to my original). It even had the green markings on it in the same place as mine.
Of course the guy that sold it to him denyed it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Maybe you should ask the guy specifically about the fuel filter.....most people forget what they did and when they did it. The guy probably had the dealer service the truck all along...so ask him where he had the truck serviced. Maybe he even has some receipts he would give you, maybe not, but worth asking for.

If he did it at his dealers they have all the records of what was done and when, check it out and ask a few more questions.

If you buy the truck and hopefully you are getting a good deal and you can do this work yourself, then spend another $500-$1000 and do the following:

1. Change the rear diff fluid

2. Change the tranny spin on filter and fluid, don't lose the magnet, pull the tranny pan and put in the deep screen filter and add the deep tranny pan. You can re-use the tranny pan filter if not broken or cracked. Then fill with TransSynd.

3. Change the oil and filter using Delvac 1 synthetic (my first choice)or other Synthetic Diesel oil of preference.

4. Change the fuel filter.

5. Change the air filter (stock paper is OK). You can check out other types later.

6. Get the Nicktane secondary (primary) filter and install or have it installed.

7. Check the DEX-Cool level (pink stuff and top up with Dex-Cool only)

8. Rotate the tires and check brake pads and rear axle seals for leaks.

9. Change the fan belt and check the idler pully

10. Change the interior cabin filter under the dash (search here for procedure).

If you do the above you have a new starting benchmark and you know everything is in good shape and you can head out with confidence. Enjoy the truck.

Others may add more to this 10 point service check, but I think these are the main items

Regards,

Edited by: Chevysrus

1 - 7 of 7 Posts