Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two months ago I bought my first diesel and It happens to be a 6.5. It seems to be running very well, but I have no idea how it was previously maintained. I have changed the oil and air /fuel filters, put on a new fuel cap and am running lucas fuel treatment in it.
Is there anything else I should do maintenance-wise before I start spending my money on mods (exhaust,gauges,etc)

thanks ,
Joel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can someone please delete my other two posts, thanks

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
You can do it yourself with the "edit" button.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Basic maintenance

First you can start by replace all your drivetrain oil ,you neek fresh oil to protect for the time to come (mod.)Personaly i replace everything every 30k to be on the safe side. And oil cost nothing compare to broken parts.
:grd:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must be an idiot because I cant figure out how to delete the posts
when I hit edit and erase the post I get a popup telling me it must be at least one charecter and I don't see a delete button anywhere,

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Click on "edit". Then in the lower left of the box click "delete message". I think it then asks you why. You tell em duplicate and off you go.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Booda,

Welcome to the dieselplace! Congrats on being one of the few who has read the FAQ's AND updated your signature before somone had to remind you to!

When I got my 1994 last year from the original owner, he provided maintenance records that looked like a phonebook and I still changed all fluids and filters.

Let me save you a fuel filter though. Before you change the fuel filter, you might want to pour some biocide in your fuel tank and run it through because if there is anything growing in your tank, it will clog up your fuel filter in a hurry. Then change it.

Definitaley follow the FAQs for the free/cheap improvements to these engines then if you need/want more power and reliability you can start buying stuff but be warned it's addictive. :D

As the Turbine Doc says:

MAKE NO MODIFICATIONS THAT ALTER FUEL OR BOOST LEVELS WITHOUT ADDING GAUGES.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Sounds like a good start. With 70k miles, you don't have much to worry about - that truck is barely broken in! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts