Diesel Place banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great write up Krazy K! I just picked up a 2005 C4500 and hoping to do this bed swap.

What part of AZ you in? I live up by Anthem

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
What year bed did you use? Did I miss that in the write up?
Good Morning, I'm over in east Mesa. It wasn't my initial plan, but I used a 2020 bed. My wife was actually the one that found it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I was in CO last week hunting bull elk during that freak snow storm. I sure was glad I went out of my way to locate a 4x4 truck. After the initial snow, we moved to a lower elevation but the roads were still nasty. We didn't tag out but we still had a great time.

IMG_5869.PNG

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

·
Registered
2006 C5500 4x4
49 Posts
Looks like a good time was had!!!

Anyone the clean up operation is a nightmare, a good time was had :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Looks like a good time was had!!!

Anyone the clean up operation is a nightmare, a good time was had :)
Yeah the mud is not my favorite to clean. I think the worse part was the fact it got packed into the wheels and created a vibration the entire way home. In hindsight I should I have found a car wash to pressure wash the mud out before driving home. I want to inspect the rear differential soon and that will be a good excuse to pull the tire/ wheels off and thoroughly clean them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
@Krazy Ken love your build. I am in the process of doing something similar. Same bed, same color, not 4WD though. I do plan on adding the Chevy puck system. I have a few questions that I'd like to ask if you don't mind.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
@Krazy Ken love your build. I am in the process of doing something similar. Same bed, same color, not 4WD though. I do plan on adding the Chevy puck system. I have a few questions that I'd like to ask if you don't mind.
I also have the puck system but I’m saving that install for a rainy day. It’s going to be a little bit until I can afford to buy a 5th wheel. What can I answer for you?

·
Registered
38 Posts
@Krazy Ken
1. Tailgate handle: I see 2 different handles, which one did you end up going with, the stock push button or the old pull handle style? Do you have a part number on the handle and the wiring harness for the handle and taillight harness.
2. Fuel cell: Single or dual. If dual how did you plumb the filler into the filler hole
3. Hitch: Is it bolted to the rear frame horns - Can you post more pictures of that
4. Bed: is the bed sitting on the frame rails? Did you put some sort of isolator in between (piece of thick rubber)
5. 7 way wiring: do you have an image of where the controller ties into on the truck side. I hooked mine up toward the rear of the truck and it stayed on, it did not turn off when the truck was turned off and I am not sure if the controller works correctly. I would prefer to hook it toward the from of the truck where every one is hooking into.

Side note: what PPE products do you have installed on your truck, other the MAF bracket?

Thank you very much in advance for your time. I cannot wait to put on the bed.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
@Krazy Ken
1. Tailgate handle: I see 2 different handles, which one did you end up going with, the stock push button or the old pull handle style? Do you have a part number on the handle and the wiring harness for the handle and taillight harness.
2. Fuel cell: Single or dual. If dual how did you plumb the filler into the filler hole
3. Hitch: Is it bolted to the rear frame horns - Can you post more pictures of that
4. Bed: is the bed sitting on the frame rails? Did you put some sort of isolator in between (piece of thick rubber)
5. 7 way wiring: do you have an image of where the controller ties into on the truck side. I hooked mine up toward the rear of the truck and it stayed on, it did not turn off when the truck was turned off and I am not sure if the controller works correctly. I would prefer to hook it toward the from of the truck where every one is hooking into.

Side note: what PPE products do you have installed on your truck, other the MAF bracket?

Thank you very much in advance for your time. I cannot wait to put on the bed.

I used the original tailgate handle that came with the bed. The harness I used was a GM PN: 84679988 but I only used two of the connectors off the harness. The problem I ran into was the push button micro switch is only designed to handle mili-amps and burnt out the very first time I pushed the button to test the wiring. I replaced the "guts" of the factory switch with a K4 Switch brand PN: 13-131 momentary switch which is rated for 5 amps.

Verify the part numbers for the taillight harness because I found several harness numbers for led/ non led lights. I ultimately had to get my dealer involved to order the correct ones. The PN I used is 84574262.

I wired the button to a constant 12v+ from the trailer charge wire so the tailgate could be opened regardless if the key was in the ignition or not.

I have a factory 32 gallon tank which is why I later added a 50 gallon aux tank in the bed. I ran the fuel filler neck along the side of the frame and re-cut the square hole in the frame when I moved the axle and fuel cell forward. I believe the hose diameter for the tank is 1-3/4" for the neck and 5/8" for the vent.

Yes I bolted it to the rear frame horns and one supporting brace running to the cross members. I don't know if I could take a very good picture with the bumper installed. I used some of the frame cut offs and a couple pieces of 5" channel iron to weld to the hitch. The pickup truck frames are much wider than the medium duty frames so I had to make the hitch mounting provisions much narrower.

My original intentions were to mount the bed through some rubber spacers but after thinking about it, the factory pickup beds don't really have anything like that. Plus I didn't want to add any height to the bed. When I pulled the bed to the last time to plumb the aux tank, I added some 1/8 high density camper foam with an adhesive backing to where ever the frame touched the bed just to deaden any sounds.

It sounds like its not turning off because it has constant 12v+ instead of switched ignition. I don't have any current pictures but I have a prodigy P2 brake controller with 4 wires. I tied the brake output into the blue wire taped in the factory bundle as per the GM upfitter instructions. One wire is ground which I used an eyelet connector to bolt under a factory dash bolt. One wire is switched ignition. The previous owner installed a large relay wired to a fuse bus so multiple accessories could be added without mucking up the under dash wiring. I thought that was a really good idea. The brake signal wire I got from the brake switch, I don't remember which color or position but I used a test light until the correct wire illuminated when the pedal was pressed.

I am using PPE pcv reroute adapers, PPE Maf bung, and a PPE Standard Xcelerator tuner.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts