Diesel Place banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
The beginning of the week I finished bolting the hitch on. I ended up welding on a center brace going from the hitch to the rear cross member which is probably overkill. I couldn't get my hand back in there to put a nut on the middle bolt so I drill and taped it 1/2-13.

IMG_5187.JPG

IMG_5188.JPG

IMG_5189.JPG

Tuesday night I finally drove it out from the makeshift barn I had been using for shade and parked it on some concrete. I still had a lot to finish but it felt good for the truck to move under its own power again. (Sorry for the dark granulated pictures)

IMG_51195.JPG

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Last night I stayed up late working on all the wiring for the taillights, license plate lights, running lights, as well as the 7 way trailer plug.

61950198616__2518BE92-5822-4EFF-BED7-DCE16E283C2C.JPG

IMG_5211.JPG

This morning I woke up early and soldered the harness for the electric tailgate opener. I think I am going to wire it +12v constant hot. I don't want to have to worry about whether the keys are in the ignition in order for the tailgate to open. I used a hopkins 47965 for the connection so the tailgate can easily be unplugged in the event the tailgate needs to be removed.

IMG_5216.JPG

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Last night I completed the tailgate and tied up all the loose ends when I got home from work. Archery deer/ turkey season starts today (Aug 21st) in some units in AZ so I decided it would be the perfect excuse to go test out the truck. When I went to go pick up the trailer, I backed under my old mans 5th wheel just for giggles and it barely fit without raising the jacks. I think I could make a 5th wheel work with an axle flip and the right hitch combo.

Also I managed to wire the 7 way trailer plug correctly the first time.

61966445032__6DA46758-5D8F-45E8-9D5C-100D7BBB6B85.JPG

61966516035__84E93E67-C73D-46AA-8D21-0F6CAEF1C9D1.JPG

61966519758__3AC2A858-604C-4214-A533-D14C900B5CCA.JPG

Reactions: timweidner

·
Registered
2006 C5500 4x4
49 Posts
Those body lines match up much better than in the first pictures you sent. I really like it! Great work!!!!

That really is a nice clean looking rig you built, I may have to consider a pickup bed for mine one of these days. Darnit man!

Air ride and new seats are higher on the list though lol.

Thank you for sharing your journey and don't forget to update with mods, brags and rants!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Thanks
Those body lines match up much better than in the first pictures you sent. I really like it! Great work!!!!

That really is a nice clean looking rig you built, I may have to consider a pickup bed for mine one of these days. Darnit man!

Air ride and new seats are higher on the list though lol.

Thank you for sharing your journey and don't forget to update with mods, brags and rants!
Oh yeah, good luck on the hunt!
Thanks even if I don't see any wildlife, I enjoy just getting out of the heat.

I still plan to stick around and give updates. I have a York OBA compressor I still need to make with as well as some other ideas I have brewing.

·
Registered
2006 C5500 4x4
49 Posts
Awesome! Can't wait to see the York! I'd like to ditch my electric air, at least not have it as the primary source

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hi, I see you are in Az, I am considering moving there next year and am wondering about smog regulations for our truck. What do you have to do to get your truck smogged?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Hi, I see you are in Az, I am considering moving there next year and am wondering about smog regulations for our truck. What do you have to do to get your truck smogged?
The regulations are changing. It used to be you had to go in for emission testing on diesels every year but they allowed me to register this truck for two years. Emissions testing usually entails a visual inspection to verify all the emission equipment is intact such as catalytic converter, egr valve, DEF, system, etc. If you pass visual they will do a "Snap Test" which means they measure the emissions output at full throttle.

Here is a little info:

• Diesel
    Diesel vehicles are tested for opacity (smoke density). The test uses an opacity meter, which is an instrument that measures the percentage of opacity of the exhaust. In Tucson, light duty diesel vehicles up to 26,000 GVWR are tested under load on a dynamometer. Diesel vehicles over 26,000 GVWR are tested using a procedure called snap acceleration. In metro Phoenix, heavy duty diesel vehicles are tested using a procedure called "snap acceleration".
  • Tampering
    In addition to one of the above tests, a vehicle may undergo a visual inspection to determine the presence of certain emission control components as installed by the manufacturer. Inspection includes catalytic converter, operational air pump, positive crankcase ventilation system and evaporative control system. These inspections coupled with the evaporative system integrity (pressure) test constitute the tampering inspection.

·
Registered
933 Posts
thanks, I guess I will have to get a catalytic convertor, as mine was removed by previous owner. :(

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Ok as an update the truck did good but as you may have read on the 6 speed conversion thread, my 6th gear doesn't work so I need to figure that out.

On another topic I got the truck re-weighed and it lost ~1800lbs by losing the flatbed which is nice.

IMG_5292.JPG

Reactions: strokendiesel00

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I have another TCM on its way from PCM Performance. He thinks he may have figured out the calibrations so I'm crossing my fingers it will work once I receive that.

In the meantime I pulled the bed to add a 3/8 npt fitting for the aux fuel tank. It took me most of the day Saturday to get it done but I added 50 gallons to the capacity of the truck.

IMG_5369.JPG

62045245358__838DB49E-A58D-408F-BCA6-6337A67A1AC6.JPG

Sunday afternoon I worked on installing a brake controller. It's crazy to me that this truck has never had one installed in its lifetime. The factory blue brake wire was still taped up in the chassis harness connector per the GM Upfitter instructions.

f.png

62050605630__584DADCC-7A2D-4CB3-9D72-5A89735A8F30.JPG

Yesterday evening I worked on installing some 4x6" Amazon LED headlights.

62052527595__19617C05-7F41-4455-98C0-FB71F5FC2F59.JPG

62052623321__B42E2915-F7CB-46A3-B757-27D8257B4DC1.JPG

The last picture is just a random I took moving a box trailer.

IMG_5381.JPG

·
Registered
933 Posts
I believe I have those exact same headlights, how do you like them? Are they blinding to oncoming traffic?

·
Registered
2006 C5500 4x4
49 Posts
Looking good!

What kind of MPGs did you get on your trip so far it's looking like I'm sitting around 7 when hauling my camper.

I have an auxiliary fuel tank as well I think it's good for 42 gallons. But uses an electric pump to transfer from that tank over to the fill line. I think I may need to rework either the plumbing or get a smaller pump because there's not enough ventilation in either tank when that pump is on and the fuel caps are closed- i.e. when I'm rolling down the road and don't want to stop but need more go go juice.

I'm also curious on your take of those headlights cuz I sure would like to do something in between now and whenever I get crazy with a totally different headlight system

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I believe I have those exact same headlights, how do you like them? Are they blinding to oncoming traffic?
I think they must be the exact same lights. I have not taken them out for a drive at night yet but I can tell just by trying to aim them, I am going to get flashed a lot. I may have to find a plan B. There is absolutely no pattern to these lights. In the picture below I literally have the adjustment screw bottomed out trying to aim these lights down.
62062371319__F9A93088-9510-4564-9E10-E96C1D0B31C0.JPG

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Looking good!

What kind of MPGs did you get on your trip so far it's looking like I'm sitting around 7 when hauling my camper.

I have an auxiliary fuel tank as well I think it's good for 42 gallons. But uses an electric pump to transfer from that tank over to the fill line. I think I may need to rework either the plumbing or get a smaller pump because there's not enough ventilation in either tank when that pump is on and the fuel caps are closed- i.e. when I'm rolling down the road and don't want to stop but need more go go juice.

I'm also curious on your take of those headlights cuz I sure would like to do something in between now and whenever I get crazy with a totally different headlight system
Mine uses an electric pump also but its on a timed relay that uses a momentary push button to turn on. I have left the fuel pump on and pumped diesel out the filler neck one too many times. You push the button once and it pumps for 5 minutes and then automatically turns off.

Up to this point I have been averaging around ~10.5 mpg but I havn't booked too many miles since the dually bed conversion.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Also PCM Performance was able to figure out the correct calibrations to get my 6th gear working so hats off to him. Its only 350-400 rpm but that seems to make a huge difference when you have 5.13 gears.

IMG_5420.JPG

62061153173__2A8D060B-E2C3-435E-AF93-F6BBD640FFA2.JPG

·
Registered
933 Posts
I am worried about my lights as well. I havnt run them at night, but think they will be aimed too high. I was thinking of installing some sort of shields on top to direct the light downwards, but havnt decided on just the right design yet.

·
Registered
2006 C5500 4x4
49 Posts
Thank you for the review on the lights, I was wondering what type of beam they'd be putting out. Seem to make for nice flood lights, but driving, not so much.

That's awesome that 6th gear is working now. I think I may have to get this done as well. I wonder how long it'll take to see the ROI lol.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Thank you for the review on the lights, I was wondering what type of beam they'd be putting out. Seem to make for nice flood lights, but driving, not so much.

That's awesome that 6th gear is working now. I think I may have to get this done as well. I wonder how long it'll take to see the ROI lol.
I'm not really too concerned with getting the money back from the fuel milage. Just turning lower RPM's and less wear and tear on the engine makes it worth it to me.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts