Diesel Place banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Monday morning update:

Over the weekend I got the truck up on jack-stands and stripped all the old brackets etc off the frame rails. I temporarily placed the bed on the frame to locate the center of the wheel well and give me an idea of how far the axle needed up move up. After lots of drilling, sweating ,and burns from hot metal filings the truck is back on its own weight.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

The first thing I noticed is the body lines don't line up as well as the other beds do. Second is if I make a 5.5" subframe for this bed to sit on it will make the truck nearly 100% unusable for a 5th wheel and I will be forced to carry a rope ladder just to get in and out of the bed. I'm not to the point where I have to make a decision yet but I'm very temped to let the bed sit on the frame rails. By doing so it actually makes the front step equal with the steps for the cab.

I came to a stopping point yesterday while getting the fuel tank bolted back up. I have to modify the rear tank crossmeber in order for it to fit under the bed and leave enough room for suspension travel so It will never hit.

image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Things still on my to do list are:
-Finish fuel tank cross members and mounting
-Cut, flare, and bleed brakes
-Reconnect engine fuel lines
-Plumb fuel filler neck
-Drill and bolt upper shock mounts
-Drill and bolt sway bar mounts
-Cut and reconnect parking brake cable (Was not functioning prior)
-Remove two overload leafs from leaf pack
-Measure for rear driveshaft at desired ride height
-Patiently wait for rear tail gate/ light harness so I can wire the lights
-Make rear bumper brackets
-Make/mount rear hitch/ receiver
-Make bed mounts

.... and the list goes on.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
This is one of the only forward facing pictures I have right now. The bed isn't sitting flat on the frame and there is a blue towel taped to the front bed corner to protect it while horsing it around.

IMG_4919.JPG

·
Registered
2006 C5500 4x4
31 Posts
I wonder if you can set it up so the bed can travel vertically. When you're hauling your 5er drop it down to its resting height, and then when you're running unloaded cranker pop it up so that the body lines all match. Set the mount base for the hitch to the frame rails and Cut a hole in the bed of the truck where 5th wheel mounts and hinge it so when you're not using the hitch you can drop the cover back into place.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I wonder if you can set it up so the bed can travel vertically. When you're hauling your 5er drop it down to its resting height, and then when you're running unloaded cranker pop it up so that the body lines all match. Set the mount base for the hitch to the frame rails and Cut a hole in the bed of the truck where 5th wheel mounts and hinge it so when you're not using the hitch you can drop the cover back into place.
That would be quite the engineering feat. I eventually want to add an auxillary fuel tank in the bed which would complicate things.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Wednesday night update:

I have the fuel tank crossmember drilled and bolted in. It looks like the rear of the differential will just barely clear.

0-2.jpeg

The brake lines cut, double flared, and reconnected. I opened the bleeders and let them gravity bleed while doing other things but didn't actually finish the bleeding process. The shock mounts are drilled and mounted. I measured and ordered fuel line today but It never showed up (I'll check on that tomorrow). Also the taillight and tailgate harnesses arrived from Michigan.

0-1.jpeg

0.jpeg

It seems like everything I do takes 2x as long as it really should.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Last night I installed the fuel feed and return lines. I was able to pour some diesel into the tank and after a quick prime the truck fired right up. I mocked up the fuel filler neck and came up about 13-14" short of making the distance so I ordered more 1-3/4" fuel filler neck this morning.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Reactions: strokendiesel00
41 - 49 of 49 Posts