Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, a diesel noob here. I have been looking to get a new reg cab 4x4 DMax for a bit now. So now it's time to weigh options. Of course the big Q.

Wait for LLY, or pursue current deal, which is

04 2500, power pack, elec shift transfer, skid plates, polished alum rims, spare lock, redundant controls, HD trailering equip, LS decor,

For a total of $31,796. A good deal? Here is a concern, and sorta raised a red flag. The salesmen said if I ordered, I would only be eligable for rebates available AT THE TIME OF DELIVERY, not the time of signing. So therefore, the current rebate of $2500 would be defunct. Is this a load of BS? Or a legitamite deal. He did not try to rush me at all, but of course he would like to reduce his current inventory, and get this sale in for this month and this year.

SO, is the rebate deal true, is this a good deal (MSRP $38,001 BTW)

OR better off ordering and holding out for LLY? All input appreciated. I don't want to do something I will regret in a few months.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Rebates are what you get when you PICK UP the vehicle, not when you order one.

Same goes for interest rates as well.

The price is nothing unless you or we know what STICKER is.

If you want a good deal take the MSRP-window sticker price and multiply it by 88% then add in all the rebates available.

Whatever that number is is a good deal, that is very close to invoice plus rebates.

If you want to know what is available click here..

http://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/index.jsp

Click onto --- CURRENT OFFERSwww.gmsupplierdiscount.com

Silverado/Sierra is $4000.00 rebate or 0% APR + $500.00

Those rebates include the $500.00 BONUS CASH as well.

Offers good thru January 4th, 2004

Good Luck

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
True story about the rebates. I'm a little miffed by the fact that mine is going to be so long. I had thought two months would be enough time to get a truck ordered, but not so.

As to whether or not you should wait on the LLY...

Mine is supposed to have that and it's part of the reason it's taking so long to get built. If there were a truck close to what I wanted somewhere in the zone, I'd have bought it without thinking twice.

The extra power should be nice, but design changes always bring with them the possibility of problems. The LLY is not a significant change in that GM has been putting EGR and CAT on California Dmax's since inception. The variable vane pitch turbo could be a problem source, but the new heads and injectors should be a definite bonus.

As Tony has pointed out, there are alternatives to the power situation depending on how you feel about modifying your truck and the possible voiding of the warranty, depending mostly on how your dealer feels about it.....

So if the current deal is tight, meaning within 3 to 5 hundred over invoice, and it's what you want equipment wise, I'd vote to grab the bird in hand as opposed to ordering....

(edit info)

I just checked Tony's link and it looks like that's the 2003 rebate offers, but I didnt' look at the whole listing. As far as I know the 2004's are at $2500.00, and I think it's valid until 1-14-04, but you can check that on the Chevy or GMC web site.Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
SO, is the rebate deal true, is this a good deal (MSRP $38,001 BTW)

$38,001.00 X 88% = 33,440.88

Less $2500.00 rebate = $30940.00

That is close to GMS pricing with current rebates.

Invoice for this vehicle is probably $1500.00 or so higher than the $33,440.88 or around $34940.88.

Without seeing the actual pricing I can't tell you for sure what it is.

I would expect to pay around $35,000 without GMS pricing, less the $2500.00 rebate is about $32,500.00, so at $31,796.00 it does not sound too bad of a deal..........

Sorry about the Rebate info.....was for model 2003 REBATES

THIS LINK IS GOOD 2004 rebates

T
NY

Edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did heavy research on prices and if the hope the following can help you out.

Take the Base cost of the truck and multiply by .875

Then take the options and multiply by .86

Then add the freight.

This is the Invoice price (Without taking into account the dealer's holdback.)

Now you need to make a decision as to how much over this price you're willing to pay. Of course, you should negotiate your trade separately. A very good deal is 200 over this price. The dealer is still making 3% of the MSRP and some other incentives in addition to this 200.

Now you can subtract your rebates ($3500) for a 2004, any coupons, bonus cash for the holidays and GM card rebates.

I've run through several examples in looking for a truck in the last two months. Of course, if you can get your hands on a GM in the driveway certificate (better hurry up), you get a fixed price of somewhere around $100 under invoice (on a truck with the MSRP around 43K-44K). Then the dealer cannot charge you a doc fee ($150). Are there any sales managers out there or owners who can confirm this? It seems to be the most accurate info I've gotten after talking to some very informed people. Good Luck!

HarryK.

Edited by: HarryK

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent info guys. Harryk, great formula. That figure is right on. I got a look at the ACTUAL invoice when he went to send a fax. $29662 dealer cost. He WOULD NOT drop holdback, either LAM fees
. Said "usually he would, but he does not get refunded when it is by a dealer trade
. Made no sense to me, but......

I was ready to sign if he did, but I left it on the table for now. Could not do it yet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ref seeing the 'actual invoice'. If they agree to show it to you, don't look at the amount show on the bottom of the invoice - normally in the bottom-center or at the bottom-left.

There should be a "321" code on the right hand column of the invoice. It may not look like a dollar amount, but it is. That's what the dealer actually paid for the vehicle - not including his hold back.

If you want to "deal" with the dealer, ask to see the invoice, then check the 321 code. Add $400-$600 and you should be able to buy the truck.

Good luck,

Chris in NC

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
highonpsi said:
Said "usually he would, but he does not get refunded when it is by a dealer trade
. Made no sense to me, but......

Sometimes dealers "trade" each other for specific vehicles that a customer might want. Dealer A locates desired vehicle at dealer B, calls dealer B and asks to buy it. Dealer B wants a vehicle in return, if dealer A has something dealer B wants, they sell each other the vehicles for invoice pricing.

The only dealer who gets to keep the hold back is the one who originally obtained it from the factory. This type of trade, especially if it's for a popular vehicle is considered as a favor and must be reciprocated at some point. Also, that hold back is paid at the end of the year and can be subject to some withholding by GM due to the vagaries of any vehicles financed by him through GMAC.

So if it's a poplular vehicle, and the dealer has to trade for it, don't expect as good a deal. It's a lot of paper work and hassle for both of them to do what essentially amounts to a favor for you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zeeb said:
So if it's a poplular vehicle, and the dealer has to trade for it, don't expect as good a deal. It's a lot of paper work and hassle for both of them to do what essentially amounts to a favor for you.

Did not think about it like that. On the contrary, I would not think a reg cab would be as popular as the ex. cab they are trading. I have an appt. tomorrow to go talk to the dealer again. Overall, it has been a pretty pleasant experience, and seems to be a straight shooter for the most part. (internet sales mgr.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Highonpsi,

Glad the post helped!.. At least this info puts you in a position of knowledge. Remember the public rebates just went up to $3500 for a 2004 and $4500 for a 2003. Also, If you have or have had a chevy, call them and see if you qualify for a $1000 coupon. Many people didn't get one inthe mail but they still qualify!. Let your fingers do the walking and it should be worth an extra $1000 rebate. I was fortunate to have had one sent to me but the marketing rep on the 800 number told me that even if I couldn't find it they were often extending the offer to people that called if they were previous GM truck owners!. Good Luck.

Harry

P.S. I edited the previous post about the GM in the driveway supplier price. It's actually about $100 less than invoice or there abouts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HarryK said:
Highonpsi,

Also, If you have or have had a chevy, call them and see if you qualify for a $1000 coupon. Many people didn't get one inthe mail but they still qualify!.

Hmmm, wonder if a '59 Chevy would count.

More great news, a DP.com member PM'd me, and offered to send me an "in the driveway cert.
I've been lurking on the board for a while, and have learned tons through others. Just registered and already this board and it's members have been an incredible asset.

Thanks to painter for his offering a cert. Can't wait to get it, cause I am gonna burn straight to the dealership and sign some papers on my first NEW ride. Edited by: highonpsi

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
HarryK said:
Also, If you have or have had a chevy, call them and see if you qualify for a $1000 coupon. Many people didn't get one inthe mail but they still qualify!. Let your fingers do the walking and it should be worth an extra $1000 rebate.

HarryK,

Are you talking about the "GM In The Driveway" coupons?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Zeeb said:
HarryK said:
Also, If you have or have had a chevy, call them and see if you qualify for a $1000 coupon. Many people didn't get one inthe mail but they still qualify!. Let your fingers do the walking and it should be worth an extra $1000 rebate.

HarryK,

Are you talking about the "GM In The Driveway" coupons?

If I am not mistaken I believe he is talking about a different rebate.

IF ANYBODY HAS ONE OF THESE COUPONS that is not in the market for a car (and is feeling generous) please feel free to let me know.

That would be UNBELIEVABLE. An "in the driveway cert", a $2500 rebate, and a $1000 dollar coupon. I think that would just floor the salesman.

·
Registered
341 Posts
HarryK said:
Highonpsi,

Also, If you have or have had a chevy, call them and see if you qualify for a $1000 coupon.
LOL - my brother used the title for our 1948 Chevy Loadmaster COE 2-1/2 ton for the $1000 coupon when he bought his 2003 Chevy.... Took a bit of searching to remember where we put the old title. he he.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
conradv said:
LOL - my brother used the title for our 1948 Chevy Loadmaster COE 2-1/2 ton for the $1000 coupon when he bought his 2003 Chevy.... Took a bit of searching to remember where we put the old title. he he.

Thanks guys for all the info. This board rocks.

My Air Rided '59 has been my daily driver since I broke something else on my Grand National. Miss driving the 'ol Buick. Merging onto the highway takes on a whole new meaning when you are leaving black marks on the ground at 60 MPH.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts