Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm new to the site and to diesels,, i'm a student and drive 50 miles one way every day, even on weekends, to either work there or classes,, i'm wanting something that i can make look good and get good mileage, wanting to go with short bed extend cab, what years would be good to look at?? and what can i do to help power wise;) , i'm wantin to put these ricers in some smoke:grd: :lol:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Really any dmax is a good choice, early 01's had a few problems but nothing major. Where are you a student at?

·
Registered
289 Posts
That's my situation as well... dont' realy need the power but justified it on the grounds of economy. Not a whole lot better in that departement either (but a little)... but I don't want to go back now. I'm addicted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm a student at univeristy of missouri,, forestry/ fisheries and wildlife major.. want a truck i can USE for a while, and take care of the local ricers:muahaha:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
love my 02'

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Welcome!!!!!! I personally would look for 03-04 LB7.
:exactly: good years and engine! Just my 2c. Just look out for the 2004.5 those are the LLYs and I have read lots of posts about overheating. The later LB7s are really the way to go. The new LBZs sound really nice but they are going to be big bucks still too new.

Good luck finding one there are a few out there but not a lot.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Cowboy717......sorry, I forgot to say welcome to the site.....a lot of great members to help with problems and answer your questions!!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome! I love my 03'

·
Registered
308 Posts
I cant complain about my 02'. I get on average 18-22mpg being easy on the throttle with lots of cruise control on the highways. I havent had any issuses with it. And its fun toasting rice burners in a huge truck!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Oh one more thing, start saving for a tranny now. Because once you get the bug it gets bad real fast:lol:

And welcome:ro)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Once you go duramax, you never go back. Had to wait till I was out of school to buy my duramax. I've got my degree in foresty in 03' up here in British Columbia!

·
Registered
289 Posts
i'm a student at univeristy of missouri,, forestry/ fisheries and wildlife major.. want a truck i can USE for a while, and take care of the local ricers:muahaha:

Is Leah Fredrickson still there? Bright guy....

I did a Masters at LSU in the same..... then I went back for more.. but in colder climates.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
he has retired, and yeah really bight guy, i wanted to go into waterfowl but he retired before i could take any of his classes

but yeah, the old 318 isn't gettin the mileage anymore(12-13 on hwy) and the rear main is starting to leak a lil:help:, so i'm lookin for a truck to replace it , and not have to buy one for quite a while, all while satisfying the diesel itch i've been havin:muahaha:

·
Registered
374 Posts
I love my '01 duramax. I have had no problems with it and it has 95,000 miles. I have the short bed extended cab 4 door arrangement and would say that would be your best bet as far as ease of getting to books in the back seat.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Be carefull of the high mileage claims, of the 18-22 range because when one looks at those numbers we tend to accept the highest number and ignore the lowest.
If you want to approximate you will be best to figure on the low number (18) and not the (22) because you will only see it when conditions are at their best.
My 02 can run 20 in the summer but in the winter 16.5 - 17.5 is more the norm and I commute 65 miles RT, so its highway miles we are talking here and @65 mph 99% of the time.
I would rather have a 4cyl clunker to commute with and save my truck for the fun stuff.
Merle

·
Registered
514 Posts
2003:ro) :ro)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what do you think??

found one on ebay,
2001, 146000 miles, new tranny, envoy conversion front end, looks good
why should a tranny be put in so soon?? doesnt look like any mods,,:confused:

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you would post a link to the truck some of the guys may take a look at it and let you know what they think. As far as the new tranny I am not sure but a guess maybe the amount of abuse it has taken as far as mods or heavy hauling or just maybe he changes it at a regular interval. Not sure so you may want to ask him/her why.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts